• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9 question

balloo93

NAXJA Forum User
I have gathered up some info, but I have a specif question sinse there are quite a few people on here running them.

Okay, going to go look at a supposed big bearing ford9 with a wms of 61" and a 5 on 4.5" BP. I know how to id the third member as far a Nodular and the webbing.

My questions are:
The BP leads me to believe this is a car unit.
A site mentioned a small rectangle stamped on the axle flange determining 28 splines.
What pinion will this likely be 1310 or 1330.

I will more than likely wan to pull the third member anyway to determine gear ration and count the splines, but if I can figure out if it's 31 spline without pulling it, I will give it w spin and guesstemate the ratio.

I'm still looking for as much info as I can round up, but would appreciate any tips.

Any idea what year the 9" is said to be?
Ford started to use the small B/P around 82-83, I believe on the trucks (F-series). I had one for the rock quarry I worked at for a while as my mechs. truck.
The yoke is "most" likely for a 1310 U-joint, and also most likey 28 spline, as it has the small B/P.

That's what confuses me, the guy says is a Big Bearing 9. I'm taking a socket set and a tape measure with me to confirm everything.

He also states it's 61" WMS, but maybe his is confusing the axle tube end to axle tube end with wheel mount to wheel mount. From the reading I have been doing they can be measured either way.

If it's tube end to tube end taht woudl put in in the truck WMS area, but I haven't found any full width 9's with a 5 on 4.5" BP.

Apparently there were big bearing car 9's available, but I think most were 28spline axle shafts.

Guy is asking $250, but If I am going to have to replace the third member and shafts, I don't think I want to pay that.

I have one that is identical to the one your looking at except it has a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. It is out of a 72 F100. Big bearing, 28 spline with a WMS of 61". Maybe he measured the bolt pattern wrong. JIM.

Back