• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you need to break in used gears?

My new D44 has a set of used gears in it, and hasn't been driven on since the gears were set up. Should I follow the same break-in procedures that I would for a new gearset, or can I get away with a less involved break-in?

I know everyone says not to use used gears, but I'm not worried since they only need to last me for a six months or whenever I can afford 4.88s.

there probably going to be noisy anyway. since they are metal, and they do get hot because of friction, they sort of mold to a certain shape that fits one car. once taken out and put into another vehicle, the positioning will never be the same, so you will most likely get noise.

im not saying they wont be good gears, just probably noisy

Mambeu said:
My new D44 has a set of used gears in it, and hasn't been driven on since the gears were set up. Should I follow the same break-in procedures that I would for a new gearset, or can I get away with a less involved break-in?

I'd break them in.

Chances are the contact pattern is not the same as in the original housing. This menas that new areas of the teeth will need to be hardened like a fresh set of gears. With any luck there will be no issues in the contact patch where the old pattern meets the new.

Back