• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy duty pinion yoke

jpslickorocks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chrysler 8.25 rear end and I have done this twice now.
IMG_2391.jpg

Where can I get a U-bolt style yoke so I lessen the chances of this happening again?

Thanks
Jeremy

Try looking under the MoPAR vehicles from the late 60's into the mid-70's. I found several of the U-bolt style on the 1/2 ton trucks and vans. Oh, and it's really not that hard to blow one of those yokes. I broke 2 just trying to leave my yard... of course, the 4.9 turbo stroker might have had something to do with that.... :gee:

he know's what a u bolt style yoke its(or he wouldn't have said it), but he and myself don't know of any makers of them.

No I found it on google. I didn't wanna tease, I just wanted to make sure I knew what you were talking about.....and apparently that setup is similar to what you are looking for.

you don't have to go buy a u-bolt style yoke. go to the parts store and buy some u-bolts for (this is a application that i know specifically. i'm sure tons of others would work. but this one fits) a 71 jeep CJ5. then take them home and find a drillbit for that size and drill out the 4 holes in your yoke. install driveshaft, install u-bolts, install beer. done.

here is a little reading. not specific to the 8.25 though.
http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/aub.html

found through google on naxja.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77315

Last edited:
Also, like I said: go look under the 60-70's MOPAR 1/2 ton trucks and vans. 1310 U-joint, 8 1/4" axle, U-bolt style yokes......
As for the drill it out thing, BEFORE you do this, make sure that you can actually lay a nut on the back of the yoke ear, and NOT have to do any grinding to make it fit, as that will weaken the yoke. If the the nut lays flat, then you are good to go. Not all of the yokes have the needed ROOM for the nut to lay flat.

It really seems to me that you are band-aiding the problem. Like RyanM said, it could be axle wrap, or your driveshaft geometry is wrong, or the screws are loosening up on you. Check you angles, try locktite. They put those straps behind Hemis without any problem. I ran them on an 11 second 440 bracket car for years with out any problem. A 4.0 (stock, stroked, turbo'ed, etc) should not be breaking them unless something else is amiss.

stoneattic said:
It really seems to me that you are band-aiding the problem. Like RyanM said, it could be axle wrap, or your driveshaft geometry is wrong, or the screws are loosening up on you. Check you angles, try locktite. They put those straps behind Hemis without any problem. I ran them on an 11 second 440 bracket car for years with out any problem. A 4.0 (stock, stroked, turbo'ed, etc) should not be breaking them unless something else is amiss.

All the above is true but don't discount the multiplication forces acting on the yoke with a transfer case or 2 and big tires and LOW gearing ;-)

Back