• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft on SYE w/AX-15

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I hope the subject line made some degree of sense.

I searched around a lot regarding using a front drive shaft in the rear with an SYE with the spicer/rockford flange adapter, but everything I saw said that the shaft would be too short with my AX-15. I measured, and it is definitely true that the longest XJ front shaft (4.0w/auto) was too short be about 2 inches.

Some one had posted this link (sorry I don't remember who, thanks!):

http://http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

So armed with this I hit the junk yard and came home with the ZJ shaft from a '98 with 4.0/auto/242 (33.0" collapsed) part number 52098707

I just finished the H&T SYE on my 242 and it fit perfectly. Some things to note:

1. The ZJ front DS is a smaller diameter than the XJ front DS. I'm going to ASSUME it will hold up since it's from the same drive train in a heavier vehicle.

2. My drive train is a bit odd. 4.0 / AX-15 / 242 / D44, so this may be too short for a D35. Maybe the 1/2" longer one from a 96-98 w/4.0 with the 249 might work there?

3. I'm at about 4" of lift.

Since I couldn't find anyone else who tried this particular set up, maybe this will help someone. Just trying to give back after all the help and info I've gotten here.

you have a 242 behind an ax-15? I'm assuming that's swapped in?

I always wondered about that combination. I figured it would be perfect for a daily driver in the winter. Now I know.

stoneattic said:
Yes. My favorite mod. Full Time 4WD is awesome on snowy and rainy roads. The D44 is a swap too.

whats snow and rain?

i'm wondering if this shaft would work for an AX15/231/8.8 rear.

could you repost the link on that site from crown? its not linking.

Back