• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

won't start unless headlights are on!

tommcg

NAXJA Forum User
i just got this '91 laredo, fully aware of this minor but interesting problem ... i didn't see it anywhere after searching this forum. has anyone else experienced this?

the jeep won't even think about starting without the headlights on. doesn't click or make any noise. if the headlights are on, it cranks right up. i can turn the headlights off right after starting it, and it continues to run just fine. it's a minor annoyance, but it does make for interesting experiences when i take it to car washes or other places where they try to start it without knowing.

i checked all the fuses inside the vehicle and under the hood in the eletric power distribution center, and everything's in good shape.

i'll be switching out the dash insert for woodgrain as soon as the new one arrives. anything i should look for in the wiring?

fear not fellow Jeeper... it sounds as though your jeep was previously owned by someone who had an anti-theft relay installed to interrupt the signal to the starter from the ignition switch without having the headlights on to activate it. An unknowing thief might smash your steering column and get it to crank/start with just a screwdriver if not for this forethought. If this feature annoys you, it can be removed without much ado, but having anti-theft measures already in place may be to your benefit. If you do decide on removing it, perhaps a manually operated concealed fuel system kill-switch might be more to your liking. Just remember, the more measures you have in place mean more inconvenience to a thief, who may run out of time and patience, and move on to an easier target.

Agreed 100%, nicely said. I'd keep the feature personally, especially if the Jeep fires right up with little cranking. I mean, what would-be thief is going to turn the lights on IN your driveway, before starting it? Seems like a stroke of genius to me :).

Leave it now that you know what it is. You may foil a thief and that will save you alot of headaches. Call your insurance company and tell them you have an anti-theft device on the Jeep see if you qualify for a lower rate.

UH Where do you live at in GA? LOL:roflmao: :roflmao:

I had an '88 S-10 that had a similar setup from a previous owner. I say keep it, every little bit helps with all these methheads around. Of course it could just be that your xj was once owned by my brother who tends to do unique wiring work. Toyota that you could run the radio or the headlights, but not both.Blazer that that would only run with the parking lights and radio on, you get the idea.

yeah xjhiker, i was afraid it was something like your brother seems to do, though i did consider the theft-deterring benefits.

i really started thinking it was a wiring mix-up when i saw that in the power distribution center, the headlights & ignition are wired right beside each other ... i thought something must be crossed. but apparently the consensus is that it's a worthwhile theft deterrent. thanks everyone for weighing in.

it was just funny to be told my window tint was done, pay for it, then come out to see the tint guy trying to jump off my jeep ... i just said "turn the headlights on" ... and that was only hours after coming out of a car wash where the attendant couldn't get it to start off the automatic line (luckily no cars were behind it) ... i had actually left the lights on for him, but someone must have cut them off ... anyway, you can imagine similar events continuing to occur ...

I had taken some stripe tape off & wanted to see if the adhesive would come off in the wash ... WD40 took out the sticky stuff, but some clear residue was left. They did look at me a little funny though ... The XJ is my new pride & joy though. It will be babied.

Skwerly said:
Agreed 100%, nicely said. I'd keep the feature personally, especially if the Jeep fires right up with little cranking. I mean, what would-be thief is going to turn the lights on IN your driveway, before starting it? Seems like a stroke of genius to me :).

Even better would be to have the horn go off when starting it. That, I would hear even if I was asleep!

Ecomike said:
Even better would be to have the horn go off when starting it. That, I would hear even if I was asleep!

They have that, it's part of a REAL alarm system. My daughter lost the keyfob for her TJ which has a factory alarm and everytime I disconnect the battery I have to do the key/switch under the dash to get to go to disabled mode. I left it turned on last week, bumped the switch by accident actually. The train station agent was a might ticked as every train that came thru caused it to go off, roughly every 15 minutes, all day. I was in spot #1, about 4ft from the eastbound track and 15 feet outside his office, the 14ft overhanging roof gave it a nice echoing effect :D

What a NICE way to "make my day", LOL.:laugh:

Bet he was might bit ticked off for sure.:cry:

RichP said:
They have that, it's part of a REAL alarm system. My daughter lost the keyfob for her TJ which has a factory alarm and everytime I disconnect the battery I have to do the key/switch under the dash to get to go to disabled mode. I left it turned on last week, bumped the switch by accident actually. The train station agent was a might ticked as every train that came thru caused it to go off, roughly every 15 minutes, all day. I was in spot #1, about 4ft from the eastbound track and 15 feet outside his office, the 14ft overhanging roof gave it a nice echoing effect :D

Back