• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 cherokee crankshaft question

fspell220

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rebuilding a 97 4.0 and I'm just now reassemling it. I torqued the caps down to 80 ft/lbs and now I can bearly turn the engine over with a ratchet. By the way there aren't any pistons in the motor yet. The crankshaft it standard and so are the new bearings. The crankshaft is not bent, the journals are smooth, and I used assembly lube on everything. My main question is I assembled the caps in the order they came off, as far as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, but I'm not sure if it matters which way they are rotated. Does anyone know. Please let me know. I've got to get this thing back together this weekend. Thanks.

Bingo!
Pull the crankshaft, wipe all that sticky lube off and plastigage the journals.

You should have, what .010 to .030 depending on intended use?

Yes, you should have marked the caps for journal number and justification.

After plastigaging, assemble with regular motor oil and the crank should spin freely.

The only thing I use assembly lube on is the cam journals, everything else gets motor oil. This is a preference and some folks put prelube on everything. But if you preoil, or even just turn the engine over with no plugs until it pumps up, you should be golden.

On the bearing there is a tab that locates it in the block and the cap. THe tab on the cap goes on the same side as the tab on the block. That should help you figure out if they are on correctly.

Back