PDA

View Full Version : towing question.

Jimbo_1321
August 3rd, 2007, 20:56
so my girlfriend and her family went on a vacation and when they got to their destination they found out their minivan had a huge tranny leak. my question is whether or not it'd be wise to rent a dolly and go get them and the van. it's about a 4 hour drive. my jeep's got a 3-4 inch lift with 32x11.5 at tires gears are 3.73 there'd be 4 passengers and a driver, their luggage, and the minivan on a dolly (I'm pretty sure it's a toyota sienna)... sounds like quite a load to me but I figure just take it out of overdrive and don't go over 55 and it should be ok.... any thoughts? I really really would like some input on this. thanks!
Jim

Jess
August 3rd, 2007, 21:47
I have pulled another XJ with mine on two occasions (on a dolly). Both times it worked, but the tranny got really hot and I had to stop alot to let it cool. Also the braking was very slow and I had to go to 1/2 to ease coming to a full stop. You can probably do it, but I'm sure it is not recommeded.

If you decide to go this route, make sure and change your tranny fluid soon afterward because it will be burnt.

90Blue_XJ
August 4th, 2007, 06:45
I would rent a truck from u-haul as well.......save the wear and tear on my XJ.