• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ question

danzy

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 has about 145K and runs great. But while braking at highway speed it has quite a bit of shuddering can feel and see it in the steering wheel. I sure it must need a new set of rotors and pads. The last time at the Jeep dealer he mentioned the right front wheel bearing is going, could this be causing the shuddering under braking?

Bearings usually make noise when accelerating or turning, or coasting, or any time the wheel is turning, but to my knowledge they will not cause shuddering (the brakes are the most likely culprit).

A bad wheel bearing will contribute to shuddering under braking, but it's hard to diagnose at this distance without feeling the shudder. Many things will contribute. If you know a bearing is bad, I'd replace that first, and worry about the rotors later if it doesn't go away.

However, I'd also take the dealer's recommendation with a grain of salt. I'm sure they'd love to sell you a new unit hub, and 145 K is a pretty likely age for it to wear out, but you'd better check it yourself first.

I'm pretty sure mine is doing the same, it's chirping while i drive and at low speeds I can hear it like crazy. damn bearing.

Back