• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control vacuum line

BlackBoosted2

NAXJA Forum User
Very strange thing happened, my cruise control quit working the other day, and I figured out why. A vacuum line from the little CC motor on the passenger side of the engine bay came undone. I've hit the front bumper on things offroad, and the part that came undone is just under the passenger turn signal...behind the bumper. The only problem is I cannot tell where the line is supposed to hook to! I must have ripped off the rest of the conection, as I cannot tell.

Any ideas? I really should look at another XJ, and see where it connects to but I dont know of anyone close that has one.

See my silly picture for the vacuum line I am talking about.

engineBay_lg.jpg

is the vacuum canister still behind the bumper? looks like a big black pill. if not go to the junkyard and get one. then move it into the engine compartment where your battery used to be, much less likely to lose it again that way :D most people move it into the engine bay when they change thier front bumpers.

GrimmJeeper said:
is the vacuum canister still behind the bumper? looks like a big black pill. if not go to the junkyard and get one. then move it into the engine compartment where your battery used to be, much less likely to lose it again that way :D most people move it into the engine bay when they change thier front bumpers.

Ah, that is probably what I am missing! I bet it fell off, what does it do? Can I temporarily re-route the line to get it working for now?

No, you need the canister. It is about the size of a softball (but oblong), and it maintains constant vaccum to allow your cruise and temp controls to work - you may notice that all you air/heat is coming out of your defroster vents if you have lost all vaccum (if not, you probably just have a disconnect to the cruise line somewhere)

xj-grin said:
No, you need the canister. It is about the size of a softball (but oblong), and it maintains constant vaccum to allow your cruise and temp controls to work - you may notice that all you air/heat is coming out of your defroster vents if you have lost all vaccum (if not, you probably just have a disconnect to the cruise line somewhere)

I figured that was the case, because I saw the vacume line heading into the cab. My vents dont work.

Well thanks guys, I have an easy fix it looks like. Now I just need to locate one

edit

found this
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/parts/Detailed/797.html

Last edited:
Back