• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do I buy a new headliner?

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 XJ had some messy owners before be. Kids hand print and juice stains on the headliner. I would like to clean it but am sure once I do that the fabric will start coming off. Where would I buy a new headliner?

I just got a kit from this guy. http://www.wlsheadliners.com/. It’s not too hard to install. Just take the headliner clear out and clean it all off. Then glue the new material down with the adhesive in the kit. He even includes new clips for the dome lights. I don’t know if you can buy them already covered. If you can it would probably be very expensive.

If you search ( I cant remember where I saw it) There is a post with step by step instructions with pix on how to do it and where to buy the fabric.

I replaced my sagging one in my old 87. It took up a saturday afternoon. got the glue from an upholstery shop and the fabric with padding from pepboys. Pretty easy job with a helper. Remove the trim panels in the interior. Pull out the headliner from the hatch. Remove old fabric and glue residue and glue on the new one. Let it dry, trim for oh sh*t handles and dome lights and reinstall.

The headliner is held in place by the trim around the edges, the sun visors, and the dome lamps. Remove your nasty headliner, find a clean one at the junkyard and slip it into place. 1997-2001 are your donors. Note that there are 2 shades of gray, 1997 and 98 is a little darker, 2000 and 01 is a little lighter. 99 = ?.

www.car-part.com may not show a headliner but you can find many of the nearest junkyards.

deumbower said:
I just got a kit from this guy. http://www.wlsheadliners.com/. It’s not too hard to install. Just take the headliner clear out and clean it all off. Then glue the new material down with the adhesive in the kit. He even includes new clips for the dome lights. I don’t know if you can buy them already covered. If you can it would probably be very expensive.

X2 I did upgrade to the 3M adhesive when I bought my kit. Did it in an afternoon by my self on my 90XJ. Kit was great and fast shipping also. I would highly recommend it. Looks great too.

I called around San Diego North County. Found an auto upolstry shop that would do it. I took it out/put it back. It is fairly obvious how to do it. Shop charged $200 but they supplied all new materials and did the visors also.

SOMETIMES: A yardage store (wife buys material there for quilting ) will have it in big rolls.
Name of the place is Joanna Fabric (spell ? ) maybe they have a web site ???

ricko70 said:
SOMETIMES: A yardage store (wife buys material there for quilting ) will have it in big rolls.
Name of the place is Joanna Fabric (spell ? ) maybe they have a web site ???

Ditto...i got actual foam backed material for an XJ Waggy i restored years ago from JoAnn's Fabric at a very reasonable cost ($25 IIRC) and used 3M adhesive.

I just installed a RealTree camo headliner last week in my current XJ, i got Permatex Brand headliner adhesive...it had the same part# as the 3M adhesive i used before. It may be a relabeled product.

Easy to just remove the headliner and put in the material of your choice, I don't like the spray on adhesives so I use those brass split pin paper clips that they sell by the 100 count for $2, some foam and material from a fabric store. Takes maybe two hours. I use the split pins round the edges and thru the center to keep it up and tight, back those pins with a washer so they wont pull thru the backing board, give a button tufted look.

I recovered my MJ headliner with fabric from the fabric shop and 3M spray. The material I used was a light-medium grey material that looks like thermal underwear. I used a wirebrush to remove the rest of the crumbling foam and fixed a few small cracks in the board with the plastic drywall mesh tape and shoe-goo. Sounds odd, but it looks great. I think I spent $12 between the 3M spray adhesive and the fabric.

One more tip...if you get regular fabric and not the foam backed stuff, make sure it doesn't stretch at all. I used some fabric with a little stretch to it, and it was a huge pain to get it all smoothed out.

Back