• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Lift

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
ive been looking at a lot of different lift kits. i want a 4.5" lift with good flex. i have been looking at RE 4.5" superflex, RC 4.5" w/ rear springs, old man emu.. but the cheaper ones (RC) i have herd arnt that great and not worth the money. i also want to look into building my own.

1)What lift kits are cheap but reliable w/ good flex? ($500-$800)
2)what does it take to build my own? What components do i need?(http://www.dpgoffroad.com/xjtrailgunner.htm) here are some leafs and coils. i am new to this but i really want a cheap lift that is just as reliable and flex able as an expensive one.

i dont want an AAL Shackles or Blocks. i want to fit 32x10.5 BFG Mud Terrains with out rub or fender cutting. i also want comfortable ride on and off road, reliable, safe... any help will be grately aprrciated. thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
You could save a little money by building a bastard pack out of S10 or Dakota leaves. This consists of combining leaves from your stock pack and the donor pack to get the amount of desired lift. I've heard that these packs flex pretty well.

I've heard great things about the RE 4.5 SuperFlex kit, but you might need to save a little more money before you can make that jump. In addition to the kit, you'd need shocks (unless they're included) and likely an SYE. Don't forget to include the cost of the tires, as that might be even more than the lift! :p

Building your own bastard pack could save a lot of money, especially if you can find a cheap junkyard, but 4.5" lift may be tough to get (not sure but seems like alot for bastard pack and still flex good). I went with ProCrap rear leafs (53111's). They're pretty cheap on ebay and gave me 4+ inches. Always nice when you get done and drop it back on the ground and say "WOW! I'm gonna need more lift in the front". But that's all I like about these springs (cheap and more lift than advertised), not very flexy and when they do flex I think the overload spring (gotta get ridof that thing) makes the main leaf invert because it sounds like someone hit my springs with a sledge hammer. You'll still have to address the front. Grand Cherokee coils with 3" poly spacers should get you about 4" of lift, are really cheap and should ride nice, but your getting to point were you may have to start thinking about control arms to get acceptable geometry up front (probably would be OK though). I have BDS 3" coils and it's a little stiff but not to bad. I'm considering the grand cherokee and spacer to level mine out. Good Luck

Here is what we did to my sons jeep

S10 leafs - Free 4+ inches
Rustys front 4.5 coils, 140 shipped
RE fixed lower control arms - 12 pack of corona
RE fixed uppers - 100
RE adj trackbar - 80
Bilstine shocks - free

total was about 340 for everything. If you look long and hard enough you will get what you want. The best part about this lift is that it is complete. Now the only thing that we may change in the future are the rear springs.. With that cost of the new rear leafs later, we will still be well under the 800 range.

Good luck

Leep said:
Here is what we did to my sons jeep

S10 leafs - Free 4+ inches
Rustys front 4.5 coils, 140 shipped
RE fixed lower control arms - 12 pack of corona
RE fixed uppers - 100
RE adj trackbar - 80
Bilstine shocks - free

total was about 340 for everything. If you look long and hard enough you will get what you want. The best part about this lift is that it is complete. Now the only thing that we may change in the future are the rear springs.. With that cost of the new rear leafs later, we will still be well under the 800 range.

Good luck

is everything here new exept the leafs? i searched the forum last night and found this site. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/xjtrailgunner.htm will this lift be to much? any experiances with these leafs and spring? i just want qaulity but im on a really tight budget. im sure you understand this.

i think im going to do what you said exept instead of s10 springs ima go RE 4.5" leafs.

Last edited:
I thought I'd give an update on the procomp 53111 springs I mentioned above. They are still at about 4" of lift, I removed the overload leafs to eliminate banging when I hit even small bumps but that didn't work. Finally solved it by putting the rear leaf springs bolts thru the right way. Nuts to the outside, I didn't think it mattered which way the bolt goes thru the spring so I put it together the opposite way because of trailer hitch interference. It doesmatter.

Back