• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need insulation over tranny?

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 cherokee and i took out the carpet because of cancer and dont plan on putting it back in. The truck gets way too hot inside and the noise sucks but that i can handle it. I dont want to spend alot of money and i dont want to go crazy because im going to end up fixing my cancer and dynomat the whole truck or get a new body, meanwhile im looking for somthing to just keep the heat out from the tranny. On the hump really any ideas would be great thanks.

If i were you I would not take the time to pull everything apart just to temp fix it. Cut the pan out and then put the new one in. They make paints and coatings that have insulation properties in them. Been over a year since i did mine so I don't really remember what they are anymore. A few I can remember are http://www.lizardskin.com/
And I thin a place called masscoat.

The Herculiner I put in holds back enough heat and noise FWIW. IMHO, its just as quiet as carpet with some rubber mats in, and the heat is manageable with my sub-arctic A/C temps.

93XJLI said:
The Herculiner I put in holds back enough heat and noise FWIW. IMHO, its just as quiet as carpet with some rubber mats in, and the heat is manageable with my sub-arctic A/C temps.
IN my 89 with no AC, the Herc I put in did nothing to help the heat.

Finally put in a vinyl carpet kit and it helped a lot.

Basically if you have the stock carpet still, put it back it. You will beat yourself up later if you get rid of it.

Back