• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this XJ a good deal?

Look for leaks....especially between the engine and trans.

Look for dents on the undercarriage, scrapes, etc.

Look for rust in the rockers and the area behind the rear wheels.

Look for damage to the front cross member, look inside the front fenders with door open to spot replacement body panels.

HTH

Tell you what......as a way to help out a noob, pay for me to fly out there and I will be happy to go over it with you, no charge. I only ask that if you buy it you also purchase a :NAXJA: membership in return for my help.

Rev

Well if you read alot of posts here then you already know about the head issues some 2000's 2001's seem to have also you may or may not know your getting the low pinion d30. if these dont bother you i say it looks great in the ad and to me the 2 door is a plus, but then again you could probably find a 99 with a few more miles but for maybe $2000 less, also the best vintage if you ask me. but whatever you decide good luck, ask for the carfacts report, and dont take any b.s from the goons at the stealership!

There you go, everything looks ok. The original owner must have been real anal retentive because it looks like the vehicle was in the shop every 400 miles.

2001 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT
1J4FF47S41L547015
2 DR WAGON SPORT UTILITY
4.0L L6 MPI / ALL WHEEL DRIVE

Owner 1 Purchased:2001Type:personalWhere:Illinois Est. miles/year:2,555/yrEst. length owned:10/15/01 - 3/11/05
(3 yrs. 4 mo.)
rolodex_bot.gif

Good News - Low mileage! This owner drove an estimated 2,555 miles per year, lower than industry average of 15,000 miles. These vehicles can be a better value.​

Date:Mileage:Source:Comments:
11/01/2000 4 Service Facility Vehicle serviced 11/06/2000 DaimlerChrysler Corporation Manufacturer Safety recall issued
#957 OWNER'S MANUAL ADDENDUM
Click here for a copy of the owner letter for this Recall or call 1- 800-853-1403 if you have any questions or need additional information on this recall. 10/15/2001 Illinois Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cottage Hills, IL First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
01/16/2002 1,365 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
03/11/2002 1,774 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
Emissions system serviced
Engine serviced
05/02/2002 2,181 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
06/13/2002 2,533 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
08/19/2002 2,974 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
Brakes serviced
Engine serviced
Suspension system serviced
01/09/2003 4,047 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
Engine serviced
03/19/2003 4,497 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
Engine serviced
05/06/2003 4,856 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
11/04/2003 5,452 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
03/11/2005 22,328 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
clear.gif
rolodex_top.gif

Owner 2 Purchased:2005Where:Ohio Est. miles/year:---Est. length owned:8/3/05 - 1/26/07
(1 yr. 5 mo.)
rolodex_bot.gif

buttress.gif
08/03/2005 Ohio Motor Vehicle Dept.
Columbus, OH
Title #2507516260 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
08/22/2005 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Columbus, OH
Title #5201185701 Title issued or updated
Correction to record
Loan or lien reported
02/01/2006 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cardington, OH Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location
clear.gif
rolodex_top.gif

Owner 3 Purchased:2007Type:LeaseWhere:Ohio Est. miles/year:---Est. length owned:1/26/07 - 2/28/07
(1 month)
rolodex_bot.gif

buttress.gif
01/26/2007 52,763 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Sacramento, CA
Title #8600294539 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Registered as lease vehicle
02/28/2007 52,838 Dealer Inventory
Decatur, IN Vehicle offered for sale 07/19/2007 53,035 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Indiana
Listed as
a dealer vehicle
clear.gif
rolodex_top.gif

Owner 4 Purchased:2007Where:Michigan Est. miles/year:---Est. length owned:7/27/07 - present
(6 days)
rolodex_bot.gif

buttress.gif
07/27/2007 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lansing, MI
Title #226V2080360 Title issued or updated
New owner reported

Last edited:
man....drove it about 400 miles every month or two....I do 400 miles in a week ...lol

I'd be leary of the 0331 head issue, as well as with such low mileage (especially w/ the first owner)...have to wonder what kinda sludge build up might be in there.

Take it for a nice long test drive and get on it a couple of times...see how it runs. Looks like a good deal for the most part....i'd talk them down on the price just a tad.

I wouldn't be as leary with a 2001 then i would with a 2000... i have an 00 and if i had the choice between the two i would buy an 01

Well from having an 0331 head crack on 00, i know what a pita it is to find a different head and change it... also from the posts around here (search 0331) most of the heads that cracked were 2000 and some early 2001... which then DC decided to change the caastings IIRC. So with a 01 a better chance of not cracking.

How would there be sludge build up in there from not driving it allot? If you change the oil on time that shouldn't matter, should it? I drive 4-500 miles a week so I wanted a low mileage vehicle that would last me a few years before it needed to be over hauled. I don't plan on seriously off roading so the d30 is ok, as long as it gets me on the beach and thru the northern michigan snow, its all good....

1) Ditto on looking for oil leaks around oil pan, flywheel housing, transm. Could indicate bad rear main seal.
2) Check air filter box for presence of oil. Could indicate clogged CCV tube, possibly caused by excessive engine blowby (rings, valve seals). Probably not, with that few a miles, though. But you can never be too careful.
3) Nice long drive to search for any unusual noises from u-joints, wheel and axle bearings, pinion bearings, etc.
4) It will have the #0331 head, so check for presence of coolant in your oil. Easiest way is to remove the oil filler cap. Check the bottom of the cap (and inside the valve cover, thru the filler hole, with flashlight) for presence of off-white milky-like substance (coolant in your oil).
5) On that first long drive, run the AC continuously. Should continue to blow cold and compressor should cycle. Then try turning AC off and on, should come on cold each time (my '01's AC compressor doesn't cycle like it should...needs new comp. clutch). Cherokee's evap. cores are also notoriously cheap. They rust and leak out freon. To replace you must remove the entire dash yourself (or pay an AC repairman $1000-1200 to do it for you). If possible, drive it several days later and see if AC still works.
6) Try power windows using all switchs...on all four doors. The driver's door main panel will probably always work the four windows, the swtichs on the other three doors may or may not work. If not, there is an easy fix for this.
7) From the Carfax info. you posted, doesn't look like there's a "reported" accident history. But again, you can't be too careful. Trust me, I've gotten burned big once, trusting the likes of Carfax. I would check for the VIN tags on all body panels.

Is it a good deal? That's up to you. A car's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Good luck,

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! The one that was posted above was sold on me 3 hours before I got there. I drove half way across the state and the salesman forgot to call me.... Can someone carfax this one for me? I am going to look at it tonight. The owner told me they just had new tires put on 3 weeks ago, along with the AC recharged...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=12

when I bought my 00' the AC needed to be recharged... and this summer it doesnt work... I would guess it could be something bigger. I have yet to try to figure out why mine is not working this year.

Back