• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is a Dana 44 from a '87 gonan fit me '89?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
trying to upgrade on the cheep, found a d44 front on craigs for 300

guy says it came out of an '87, has 3.54 gears, woudl this be a direct swap for the d 30 in my '89?

and is 300 an ok price?

out of an 87 what? XJs never came with a D44 up front from the factory.....

but....if its something that he modded and put in his 87, then yes, it would fit your 89...

d44 front????
i do not think there was ever one made sorry. unless he narrowed a waggy 44 to fit and did all the custom work.
which then your lookin at paying a grand for. I think hes hasslin you.

ok i went back and read the ad, its a rear D44, must be a typo that it was a front, when he emailed me back on it.

is a Rear D44 a match up with the D35? and what am I looking at to upgrade the front end to a D44? a FSJ axle? would that work?

-Trent

yes, the D44 will direct swap in your rear....

up front....no idea if anything is a direct swap in...

What the hell was an 87' Gonan? I don't believe I have seen one and can't seem to find one searching around a bit, at least not one that sports axles of any kind.

goodburbon said:
What the hell was an 87' Gonan? I don't believe I have seen one and can't seem to find one searching around a bit, at least not one that sports axles of any kind.
I don't know either, I missed that in the thread title. He didn't mention it in his first post of the thread so I assumed it was from a XJ. :twak:

TLowery04, if it's not from another XJ, it most likely will not be a direct swap.

i went to a junkyard yesterday and saw a 75 cherokee and it had a d44 front...i dunno if they came stock like that or if someone made a swap but you might want to look into that

southernxj4x4 said:
i went to a junkyard yesterday and saw a 75 cherokee and it had a d44 front...i dunno if they came stock like that or if someone made a swap but you might want to look into that

REALLY !?!? wow I'm gonan have to look into that! :twak:

If you swap the Dana 44 into an XJ that had a D35, your driveshaft will be too long for the D44. Save a couple of bucks, and have the seller also throw in the rear shaft that was in with his D44.

Full size Cherokees & Grand Waggys have D44s front and rear. Some had Model 20 rears with single piece axles. Not a direct swap for XJs.

Does an '89 XJ still have the vacuum disconnect feature on the D30? IIRC, it does.

kevin s said:
Full size Cherokees & Grand Waggys have D44s front and rear. Some had Model 20 rears with single piece axles. Not a direct swap for XJs.

Does an '89 XJ still have the vacuum disconnect feature on the D30? IIRC, it does.
it will unless it was a selectrac model, or AMC ran out of disco axles that week.

Only way to know what you've got under an AMC built jeep is to go and look.

Back