• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Conditioning to Full?

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
My air conditioner in my 89 xj was warm. I though it had to be recharged. so i went to schucks and they gave me an r12 to 134 conversion kit. so i take it to my freind who has done this before. he plugs it in and the guage was in the red section which said warning. in the instructions it says take to a profesional. i was wondering what could be wrong. we pumped some more refridgerent into but it still continued to blow out hot air. no cooler then before. does anyone know what the problem could be? I have searched around the internet and forums including this one and i havnt been able to find anything that could help me. any help would be grately appreciated. thanks.​

it is possible to overcharge the system. your best bet would be to take it to a shop & have it charged to spec

is your a/c compressor good? it may have shot craps, mine did and was doing the same thing yours is. just a thought

Does the AC clutch come on? (The plate on the front of the AC drive pulley should be turning. It will not turn when the belt is turning, if the clutch is not on.) If the clutch is turning, does it cycle off occasionally, for a couple of minutes?

89heepxj said:
My air conditioner in my 89 xj was warm. I though it had to be recharged. so i went to schucks and they gave me an r12 to 134 conversion kit. so i take it to my freind who has done this before. he plugs it in and the guage was in the red section which said warning. in the instructions it says take to a profesional. i was wondering what could be wrong. we pumped some more refridgerent into but it still continued to blow out hot air. no cooler then before. does anyone know what the problem could be? I have searched around the internet and forums including this one and i havnt been able to find anything that could help me. any help would be grately appreciated. thanks.​

Not question the obvious, but did you do this with the car running and the AC on full blast recirc?

Try getting it evacuated and flushed professionally and charging again. However i've seen those guages completely inaccurate from the factory. I recommend renting a good quality vaccuum pump and purchasing a good set of guages, with both low side and high side readout. It is almost impossible to diagnose anything with just a low side pressure reading?

A couple of things raise a red flag here.

If you were given a R-12 to R-134A conversion kit, was the existing refrigerant removed and the system evacuated?

When you turn on the A/C does the compressor clutch engage? (Main part of the compressor start spinning?

These two items are critical, after that, might be able to help more.

Yes it is possible. The AC clutch will come on and off erratically . Happened to me when I was doing a recharge. I was getting clutch going on off on off. And the Air would not get could enough. I stuck a screwdriver to it to let some oil out.(Not recommended, watch your eyes.) Well got the pressure down to spec, and she blows cold as Ice.

my xj did the same thing when. i just bought it and the previous owner said he was told that it needed to be charged when he got it but said he never messed with it. so i got the conversion kit and as soon as you hook up the guage it pegs out. compressor does kick on. does that mean the compressor is bad or what?

The expansion valve/orifice tube could be clogged. Its the "valve" that creates a pressure difference and makes the freon turn cold as its forced through a little hole, so to speak. Kinda like a can of brake cleaner getting cold as you spray it out. Trash can get clogged into it and not let any freon flow or restrict it very much. My 95 chevy c1500 was doing this. The freon was "charged" but it would stay slightly cool and the compressor was hot to the touch due to the high pressure. I replaced the orifice tube, which was clogged with trash, and she chills your junk off now.

I had this problem while filling mine the first time as well - ended up that I hadn't opened the little square valve that actually lets the gas into the system on the compressor. It's a reverse threaded valve.

89heepxj said:
well i need a new compressor :( found that out today. i will be visiting the junkyard soon to :).
Buy a new or rebuilt compressor not a JY compressor. They are pretty unreliable and the trouble to keep changing them out is a PITA. Don't ask how I know.

mikeforte said:
Buy a new or rebuilt compressor not a JY compressor.

AC compressors are on my short list of parts that I will NOT buy from a JY.

A new or reman compressor should be able to be sourced for a reasonable price if you shop around. Make sure you replace the drier while you are doing it.

ok got mine working. i didn't know you had to open the lil square headed valve to get the freon in. works fine now. they could have put that valve in a lil better place to get too. especially since the PO had it rediculously tight.

im lost on the whole square valve and plugged pipe things... ill have to take a picture. but i will try and find a new compressor for cheap if it isnt a clogged hose or something.

Back