• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KILL!! my steering wheel!!

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
Well i am having a little issue with my steering sytem.
Everytime i go over a bump, the steering wheel actually bounces up and down. Not left to right. Ive asked a few people and they said that is definately not good. I tore into the cab trying to find any looseness in the column but didnt find anything. I also had someone turn the steering back and forth whith the ignition off to see if there were any ball joint tre ect problems.
I did find that at the steering box, when turning back and forth the gear shaft that somes out of the box below ( the one that the pitman arm is connected to) actually moves left to right like theres some play in it. I dont know if that will make my steering wheel go up and down but maybe it might.
ANy thoughts?

is it tilt??
if it is u need to retighten the tilt assmbly.

Ok
So i took the dash and ,metal plate out to get to the steering column tilt mechanism. Tested to see if there were some play, and yes there was.
If u look at the shaft that pops through the top where it slides and locks. There is about 1/4 inch of sliding after the tilt is locked. I dont know if this is why the steering wheel VIOLENTLY bounces up and down. But its a start.
I also checked the aluminum frame bracket that it bolts to. It was tight.

Is there any other thing that could cause this weird bouncing?
Intermediate shaft or steering box?
Here are some pictures.
P7310351.jpg

P7310355.jpg

P7310356.jpg

P7310361.jpg

P7310354.jpg

I had the same problem with my 84 pioneer with tilt steering I replaced the hole column with a non tilt unit. I was told they are known to get sloopy.

Ron

On another car I worked on there was a roll pin that was supposed to engage to a thing that looked like a raduis of a circle kinda like this ( with teeth and thats what set the tilt height.
the roll pin backed out and it was sloppy

just an idea

In the column there are 4 bolt that hold the base of the tilt to the lower column tube, these can come lose and make the tilt section very insecure. The base piece has a pivot point that is made by 2 pressed in dowels on both side of the column in line with the key assembly (if I remember correctly), this is the only point that the upper column is attached to the lower piece, these dowels doesn't come loose and their a pain to pull out.
I just took 2 of these things apart over the weekend and both had the base bolts loose enough to make the column bounce. It's a pain to get in and tighten them as you have to take the column nearly completely apart to get to them and their reverse torx on top of it.
I might have enough part at home to mock them back together to show you what I mean in a picture if you need it.

Back