• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s w/ chains?

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
about to make the move from 3" to 5" and go from 31x10.50s to something bigger...

Its my DD but I ride a bike most of the time in the summer so the main idea with this thing is to never get stuck in snowy, icy, high angle situations. I'm thinking 33x12.50s and chains all around and ultimately going to 4.56s (8.25 rear).

Anyone have experience w/ chains on 33s? I've only use chains on much bigger trucks before and don't know how much stress that would put on the axles, atc. 35s a possibility? Or will I have to stay with 31s?

It doesn't ever really play in the mud or heavy on the rocks so I am not looking to build a hardcore wheeling trail rig, but I have buried it in snow with the lift and tires that are on it now and would like it to have a bit more flex for getting me into my favorite camping and biking spots.

Both diffs are staying open, other than gears, tires and chains, what other mods are good for deep snow? I know a winch but that's still a bit off.

I'm a big fan of chains. They offer "dry" like traction on solid ice, I'm serious.

The only downside is that if you go more than 20-25 you run the risk of breaking something and/or rattling your filings out.

My best advice to you is to get very good tensioners, and put them on TIGHT. If your hands aren't hurting a little bit after putting them on they aren't tight enough.

Other than chains, only the best purpose built snow tires with studs will be of any use. "Mud and snow" and "all seasons" are a total joke on ice and snow even with 4x4. Make sure the tire has the "mountain and the snoflake" symbol embossed on the side.

j99xj said:
I'm a big fan of chains. They offer "dry" like traction on solid ice, I'm serious.

The only downside is that if you go more than 20-25 you run the risk of breaking something and/or rattling your filings out.

My best advice to you is to get very good tensioners, and put them on TIGHT. If your hands aren't hurting a little bit after putting them on they aren't tight enough.

Other than chains, only the best purpose built snow tires with studs will be of any use. "Mud and snow" and "all seasons" are a total joke on ice and snow even with 4x4. Make sure the tire has the "mountain and the snoflake" symbol embossed on the side.

I agree with you on all of these, I've only used chains on much heavier vehicles (10,000 lb snowplow truck I run at work) and wanted to know if the XJ was heavy enough to make the chains dig.

Also, what I really want to know more than whether or not chains work (they do) is what size tire a hpD30/29sp8.25 combo could hold up to w/ chains (open/open) if geared at 3.55 or at 4.56.

I have searched a bit but not found much.

I've driven through 28 Maine winters and don't know anyone who has ever put on chains (other than a plow truck, perhaps). A good set of ATs, a pull of the ugly stick if the roads are covered, a little driving skill and you're good to go.

If you're set on using them, I don't know why you couldn't put them on any tire you wanted.

don't do 12.50's on a cherokee if you intend to grip more snow. try an inch or two narrower as the "pizza cutter" effect will take and they grip better.

also, I would NEVER run chains full time. especially not at speeds in excess of 15 or 20 mph. chains aren't your answer for a DD.

I agree with the snowflake and mountain symbol, and the chains have GOT to be tight to function. but not for your application.

also, 12.50's don't clear very well with articulation. the only reason that I am running 33x12.50's on my 89 comanche is that they were cheap and brand new ($200).

Archdukeferdinand said:
I agree with you on all of these, I've only used chains on much heavier vehicles (10,000 lb snowplow truck I run at work) and wanted to know if the XJ was heavy enough to make the chains dig.

Also, what I really want to know more than whether or not chains work (they do) is what size tire a hpD30/29sp8.25 combo could hold up to w/ chains (open/open) if geared at 3.55 or at 4.56.

I have searched a bit but not found much.

The XJ is plenty heavy enough. You could always throw some sand bags in the back if needed. I wouldn't do more than 31s with chains.

Another idea I would suggest is to get a front factory skid plate as they help push the snow away from the front of the Jeep.

jeepcomj said:
don't do 12.50's on a cherokee if you intend to grip more snow. try an inch or two narrower as the "pizza cutter" effect will take and they grip better.

also, I would NEVER run chains full time. especially not at speeds in excess of 15 or 20 mph. chains aren't your answer for a DD.

I agree with the snowflake and mountain symbol, and the chains have GOT to be tight to function. but not for your application.

also, 12.50's don't clear very well with articulation. the only reason that I am running 33x12.50's on my 89 comanche is that they were cheap and brand new ($200).

OKay, let me establish some things here...

I work for a ski resort. The closest 70 mph freeway is an hour away, I rarely get above 60. I spend a good deal of time driving in very snowy/icy, extremely steep conditions as my profession. I drive a 6WD plow truck with chains all around and a 15,000 lb backhoe with chains all around on steep inclines w/ marginal traction. I know all about M+S tires and studdable tires and winter compounds...

I'm not looking for basic snow tips, I'm looking for advice so that I don't find out that 33s/w chains on in deep snow turns out to be too much and I snap an axle or grenade a joint or something.

I am looking for tips like the clearance issue, I'm trimmed up front and rear and about to go to 5", I really won't be able to fit 33s well? That seems kind of odd. I'd like to get as much of the body and susp up for deep snow, I'm not so concerned about COG or maximum flex.

j99xj said:
Another idea I would suggest is to get a front factory skid plate as they help push the snow away from the front of the Jeep.
Yeah, I was really wondering about something like this. I'd contemplated fabbing up a skid that was covered with a sheet of this lexan material we use to topsheet terrain park boxes and features.

31s only huh? I guess that's the price of so much traction. I wouldn't have thought that chains were that stressful

Have you considered cables. (Like chains but made of cable). I used to live WAY up North and found them great for trips to the ski resort. That's over a couple mountain passes as well. If you can find some to fit, run them all day long. No problems as long as you keep your speed down. I ran those at a faster speed than I could with chains.

They take up less storage in you rig and they are easier to take on and off.

You axles will hold up fine btw with chains too.

c074_1.jpg

Last edited:
PETEY said:
Have you considered cables. (Like chains but made of cable). I used to live WAY up North and found them great for trips to the ski resort. That's over a couple mountain passes as well. If you can find some to fit, run them all day long. No problems as long as you keep your speed down. I ran those at a faster speed than I could with chains.

Yeah, I'd thought about it. I'm not too worried about being able to do the high speed thing, and chains grip more imho.

To people saying chains are crazy on a DD, its not like you can't take them off/ put them on, and anything I *need* chains for I won't be going 15+ on...unless I've lost traction and am headed in the wrong direction.

My axles will be fine? w/33s or 31s? I'd think that chains would be comparable to a locker, though I guess that being at the wheel's edge that is a lot of mechanical advantage against the driveline...

Last edited:
Archdukeferdinand said:
Yeah, I'd thought about it. I'm not too worried about being able to do the high speed thing, and chains grip more imho.

To people saying chains are crazy on a DD, its not like you can't take them off/ put them on, and anything I *need* chains for I won't be going 15+ on...unless I've lost traction and am headed in the wrong direction.

Chains are not comparable to a locker as your difs are still open. Chains will slip too. You should be fine. Everbody used chains where I lived. I have never heard anybody breaking an axle because of chains/cables.

Those people saying chains are crazy on a DD never lived anywhere it snows several feet over night, and often. Where you don't get to work unless you have a 4x4 WITH chains. 4 wheel drive is not much help on 8 to 9 inches of ice on the road.

Last edited:
PETEY said:
Chains are not comparable to a locker as your difs are still open. Chains will slip too. You should be fine. Everbody used chains where I lived. I have never heard anybody breaking an axle because of chains/cables.

Cool, that makes sense to me. Then I think I'll still plan for 33s and chains.

Now to open a can of worms...

Narrow vs wide tires: I think they both have advantages depending on what type of snow and whether you're trying to float over deep stuff or pizza cutter down to the road tread. Anyone have any combinations that they think have worked well in deep snow or boilerplate ice? Why not 33x12.50 ?

Archdukeferdinand said:
Cool, that makes sense to me. Then I think I'll still plan for 33s and chains.

Now to open a can of worms...

Narrow vs wide tires: I think they both have advantages depending on what type of snow and whether you're trying to float over deep stuff or pizza cutter down to the road tread. Anyone have any combinations that they think have worked well in deep snow or boilerplate ice? Why not 33x12.50 ?

That's what I ran. They were on a 75 Cheby K5 Blazer though.

Chains will work great it used properly, don't go spinning with chance of grabbing the front shafts/u-joints don't like it, I live in b.c. canada ,we get good snow dumps and very icy roads,I wouldn't run chains on anything bigger than 31's on a 4 inch lift. They really rip sh** apart. But yeah they work awesome!,get places in the winter that you can in the summer!I once overheated from plowing snow with the fron bumper, completely iced up my rad. A few beer boxes and duct tape fixed that!

IMHO, WHAT YOU NEED DEPENDS ON THE CONDITION OF THE SNOW YOU'RE DRIVING ON.

SOMEWHAT HARD SNOW = WIDER TIRES TO FLOAT BETTER.

THIN TIRES WILL FIND SOFT SPOTS EASIER AND SINK, ARTICULATING SUSPENSION AND STOP YOU WITH SPINNING TIRES WITH OPEN DIFFS.

SOFT FRESH "DRY" SNOW (POWDER) IS EASY. I HAVE DRIVIN THROUGH THREE FEET OF POWDER WITH NO CHAINS OR CABLES. ONLY PROBLEM WAS THE SNOW GETTING PLOWED BY THE GRILL AND COMING UP OVER THE HOOD AND UP ONTO THE WINDSHIELD AT SPEED. I BUNGIED A SCREEN TO THE GRILL AS A FRONT COVER TO AVOID FREEZING ON THE RADIATOR CAUSING OVERHEATING (IN THE WINTER, I KNOW, BUT ITS HAPPENED TO ME WITH A TRUCK, AND I LEARNED FROM THAT EXPERIENCE).

I MAY LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALI BUT IT PILES UP SNOW BIG TIME IN LOCAL MOUNTAINS ON STORMY WINTERS AND AS WELL AS UP NORTH IN MAMMOTH LAKES WHERE I HAVE BEEN THRU MANY BLIZZARDS.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK BUT I SCREWED UP MY HAND WORKING ON MY JEEP AND FORCED TO TYPE ONE HANDED FOR NOW. SO BEAR WITH ME.

Last edited:
I can't possibly see how (aside from clearance issues) putting chains on would destroy your axle. It's not like you are going to ever get MORE traction with chains on ice than a bare tire on dry asphalt would get. As far as I can see, assuming you stick within the recommended tire sizes for your axle, you should be fine. It's not as if they chains were that heavy, This isn't a Semi, the tires are not nearly as big, and the chains wil be smaller.

I have yet to run into any problems doing it myself, but I was running stock sizes at the time. You sound like you know what you are doing, and just wanted to get a couple of extra opinions on axle strength. I think it's a fine idea, I am aware that a lot of people say that you can get anywhere you need to go by driving carefully and this is true. However, a little extra insurance will not hurt. Especially since you don't have to pay for it every month ;).

One of the worst feelings in the world is being stuck in a ditch halfway up an icy hill thinking "Sh#t. I wish I had chains." Slightly worse than that is the same situation with you saying "Sh@t. I should have put my chains on."

Ask me how I know. Once in a wireline truck, once in a cherokee. Boo for me.

ive run a f250 with 33's and v bar chains up roads that plow trucks wont touch with no problem at all in the middle of winter when it was freezing rain for a week instead of the usual snowfall here in MT

Back