• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another tire thread

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Ive heard most peoples opinion on the more popular tires bfg mt, trxus, TSL, etc. There are a few tires I have not heard a ton about and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on them. I don't want the Trxus fan club to jump on me either(I'm probably getting a set soon), I just want to weigh some other options before I decide.

The tires I would like some opinions on are

Pro Comp Radial MT
Pro Comp Xterrain
TSL Thornbird

Ya, Thornbirds are good for.................. keeping a hot campfire? The Xterrains seem like they'd be good, but they only person I know running them gets stuck everywhere he goes and runs a locker in the rear.

Thanks for looking for something other than TRXUS! That takes some juevos around these bias parts :)

mud1059 said:
Ya, Thornbirds are good for.................. keeping a hot campfire?

Why do you have a thornbird as your avatar?

Thornbirds were marketed as an "aggressive LOOKING" all terrain tire... in the 80's. I don't know why they're even still producing them. Their road manners are HORRIBLE, they're downright scary in the rain, and they suck on the trails.

I've never heard of any good experiences offroad with either of the Procomps, although their new extreme m/t or whatever looks enticing. If you're looking for something more out of the norm... I'd look at something like that Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, or Cooper Destination MT's, or something along those lines.

J

Avanteone said:
Thornbirds were marketed as an "aggressive LOOKING" all terrain tire... in the 80's. I don't know why they're even still producing them. Their road manners are HORRIBLE, they're downright scary in the rain, and they suck on the trails.

I've never heard of any good experiences offroad with either of the Procomps, although their new extreme m/t or whatever looks enticing. If you're looking for something more out of the norm... I'd look at something like that Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, or Cooper Destination MT's, or something along those lines.

J

I was looking at the Extreme M/T the tread kinda looks like the GY MT/R maybe I'll try it. I just looking for something until those new BFG MTs are released, I have a few tears in my sidewalls on my current set of AT's and need something. So if I get something and don't like it no big deal.

I bought a set of the Xterrains used right after I got my lift on mostly so i could get the 33" look. But not being an expert on tries i mean the hum a little on the road but i have good traction even with about 50% tread. They handled pretty good at Evan's last sunday,self cleaned pretty good, but then again i wouldn't know what would be better. I am looking to buy a brand new set of tires soon also and i wouldn't mind picking up a set of Xterrains! I think they come in 3 ply too.

I'd like to add that I don't know diddly squat about any of them.:dunce:

I know a PNWJeep guy that had ProComp Xterrains at our M&G last year and did fine. However, people with MT drag radials could have done OK last year it was so dry.

John90XJ said:
I'd like to add that I don't know diddly squat about any of them.:dunce:

I know a PNWJeep guy that had ProComp Xterrains at our M&G last year and did fine. However, people with MT drag radials could have done OK last year it was so dry.
so if what you are saying is true I should be fine with these
http://www.tirepackage.com/PDT66774.aspx

Avanteone said:
Those would be sweet in Moab ;)
when they melt to the rocks? and provide super traction for like 10ft?

Perfect on slickrock.

Only difference between a dragstrip and one of the climbs on Hell's Revenge, is the vertical aspect.

CanMan said:
Id say go with trxus, but seeing the recient failures of more than a few, I wouldn't hesitate to try the new BFG MT's. John does have 4 33" trxus in stock though.

Yeah I want those new BFG MTs to be released, but I need something before then.

I have a set of goodyear MTRs and they seem to do ok. I just got on them on my xj on friday. I did some local dirt trails. T stayed in 2x so i fugure they must be decent.

I am going to suggest the cooper discoverer stt's...GREAT all around tire..

XbajajeepX said:
I am going to suggest the cooper discoverer stt's...GREAT all around tire..

If i wanted an all around tire I would get another set of BFG ATs I need more of an MT type tire

WaXJ_Skier said:
Why do you have a thornbird as your avatar?

I realized I was the only one running the lamb still. I'm too lazy to make my own avatar, so I picked the TB out of sarcasm. That is my final answer.

anbody else running the cooper stt's?
my next tire is either the coopers or trxus not sure which,

which one is quieter?

Back