• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm thinkin BRIGHT PINK!!

Akira

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

NEED SOME PAINTING SUGGESTIONS & PARTS TO PAINT!

We're talking about a 92 Laredo, dark blue with chrome front bumper with grey trimming. And I plan on getting a whole paint job one day in the color BLACK.

That being the case:

RE 5.5 6200 kit, getting it next week, what color should I paint the SPRINGS - SWAY BARS and another parts I'm missing???

Just Black???

And what paint should I use?

thanks

Akira said:
Gotyea, what about the sway bars? maybe paint them the same shade of grey???

You don't need it anyway, Ive been running without mine since I put my lift on in Aprill.
My rig is also my DD. just don't take corners too fast(if its too fast without its probably too fast with).

WaXJ_Skier said:
You don't need it anyway, Ive been running without mine since I put my lift on in Aprill.
My rig is also my DD. just don't take corners too fast(if its too fast without its probably too fast with).

Your advice could not be more incorrect.

A vehicle driven on the street should have a fr. swaybar. Granted, you may think it drives fine, but that's only until you have to swerve or perform a sudden turn in an emergency situation and it's only then that you'll realize how much that sway bar is needed.

Lots of people run without them, that doesn't make it right. A vehicle driven regularly on the street should have a functioning front swaybar.

J

Avanteone said:
Your advice could not be more incorrect.

A vehicle driven on the street should have a fr. swaybar. Granted, you may think it drives fine, but that's only until you have to swerve or perform a sudden turn in an emergency situation and it's only then that you'll realize how much that sway bar is needed.

Lots of people run without them, that doesn't make it right. A vehicle driven regularly on the street should have a functioning front swaybar.

J

x2

Joe, when you're driving down the road one day, w/o your sway bar, you should try a back and forth turn of the wheel, just like 45 degrees each way, see how much your rig shifts. It's scary to think that would happen if you had to avoid something, like a kid, or a deer.

WaXJ_Skier said:
As John said, I wouldn't run without one.

I actually replaced my stock 24 mm bar with a 28 mm from a later model and added a pair of poly bushings. I'm impressed with how much better it drives on the street and how much safer it feels when dodging old ladies in Buicks.

It really is a safety item first and a performance item second.

And ditto on not doing anything to the stock RE coatings.....to paint them turns them into maintenance items. They are really well done straight from the factory. I can pressure wash my rig and the RE components clean up perfectly, every time.

I dont see why you would want to paint the sway bar? Anyways the kit comes with quick disconnects so theres no need to remove it, just disconnect on the trails and connect on the streets, its that simple! And I also like they way the springs look so i wouldn't paint them, even though mine are painted with a thick coat of grease!

If you want to paint things then look at Howard's Jeep when you are on the trail with him. Every part of his jeep changes color every time he removes something :D

Seriously, I would pick 1 color that you can get easily and use it for painting parts you want to touch up. Personally the only thing that I would paint grey/silver would be the oil pan, valve cover, pumpkin's (under the skid protection) and maybe driveshafts. Only so that it is much easier to see if there is a n oil leak and where it is coming from. Other than this, I use black because the whole Jeep is coved in dirt/mud most of the time.

Swaybar, Leave the front one on!!
Leave the stock RE paint.

Michael

2xtreme said:
If you want to paint things then look at Howard's Jeep when you are on the trail with him. Every part of his jeep changes color every time he removes something :D
Glad you noticed Mr M.
Yes I do have a few different colors ,I used to have pink shafts and rear diff cover thanks to the Auto Class at work .Now I`m running snow flakes and snowman on the front skid ,the front diff is bright pink with front view of a snowman front shaft orange ;transfer case chev red; rear diff cover red white blue stripe with stars and rear view of snowman that took me awhile to paint in place.all parts under the hood I`ve worked on teal [ out of that color] All rub rails I built are Battle Ship Grey.....All the colors I had alot of time on my hands and wanted to be different ,To much time looking at Magazines.

hards91xj said:
2xtreme said:
All the colors I had alot of time on my hands and wanted to be different ,To much time looking at Magazines.

I think Howard has been sniffing the colors for too long!:spin3:

Back