• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 malfunction

mrbean32180

NAXJA Forum User
i've have searched every where and tried ever thing i can think of hoping somebody has seen my problem before its a 99xj with 4.0 and aw4 5.5 lift 4.56s and 35's the problem is a couple of months ago i sank my jeep and had to replace the motor and got a smokin deal on a motor and tranny an ever since the swap i'm having problems with the torgue converter at a little above 40mph the torque converter locks like its supose to but really hard that i can live with the real problem is when going between 50-60 on a slight incline the torque converter locks and unlocks rapidly(bucking) untill i let off or give it more gas things i have tried

used a snap on solus while driving and none of the solinoids are changeing during the bucking
changed the tcu
changed the tps
adjusted the tv cable 100 different ways
replaced all solinoids
replaced both tranny speed sensors
replaced torque converter
new fluid and filter (dex 3)
changed brake light switch

if you have any ideas i will see if i have tried it or not if i can't find the easy fix that it probally is then i'm changing the tranny

You know it's possable it's not the tranny at all. I had a van that was doing that exact same thing. It would feel like the the torque converter was slipping only on a heavy torque situation. If I would make it down shift it would run just fine. It turned out to be the plug wires where bad, and when the ECM would crank up the voltage on the coil they would break down, and short out. It's worth looking into anyway if the wires, or the roter cap (& button) aren't new.

Hope you can get it figured out, after all that fuss and expense...

Related question:

Is the AW4 TC lock-up speed-dictated, or only in OD...??

Back