• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter Magnets

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
Have you seen the sleeves that wap around your oil filter to pick metal from your oil?? Do they work or are they another gimmick?

They work great on sand :roflmao:

Serioulsy, They won't really catch anything the filter would not already catch.

A magnetic oil drain plug works! Helps remove metal that settles out in the oil pan, thus keeping the oil pump from sucking it into the oil pump.

I'd probably use one after a rebuild, as the mating surfaces wear in to each other, but on a high mileage engine, I don't see much benefit.

I found a somewhat strong magnet and stuck it to the side of my oil filter... I wonder how to open the damn thing without a hacksaw or dremel tool (which would send shavings all over). I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a filter cutter...

just use a pair of scissors you don't lik to well.
oil filters aren't much thicker than pop cans, once you pierce it they're pretty easy to cut.

i say gimmick, yep the filter catches as much if not more material than the magnet would attract in the oil, and that which is in the oil, very little of it is ferrous, and of that lump of ferrous material that you would pick up, VERY few magnets could hold onto it well enough to prevent big globs of it to come off during a bump (whose XJ sees that kind of driving?) so, even if the odds of probabality, and the laws of physics were not against the thing working, you still got to think why wouldn't the filters be magnetic from the manufacturer? gotta be a reason why just that one dude is smarter than teams of highly educated, well paid researchers.

x2, I've queried a few mechanics on running external magnets and every time the question pops up "what happens when it falls off"? You are gonna get a heavy blast of metal going where it shouldn't,especially in a auto trans

bcmaxx said:
x2, I've queried a few mechanics on running external magnets and every time the question pops up "what happens when it falls off"? You are gonna get a heavy blast of metal going where it shouldn't,especially in a auto trans
Well hopefully you won't have the contents of the engine oil filter dumping into your tranny...or that must have been a heckuva bump you just hit!

Just filled up today...at 207,xxx miles on the original engine. Still runs strong and doesn't burn oil. Don't think a little bitty magnet on the filter is going to improve on that very much.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

the other side of this story is that a magnet may also fool you into thinking your motor is fine, even when the bearings are eating themselves to death.

Think about it, if I slap a rare earth magnet on the side of the oil sump, and it catches all the metal shavings, then I wouldn't see any of those shavings on the drain plug or in the oil.
the manufacturer used a magnetic plug, I think it's sufficient.

I slapped a really uber strong hard drive magnet near my oil plug. I remove it when I drain my oil and I can see the crap come out. Its cheap and works better IMHO

Yucca-Man said:
Well hopefully you won't have the contents of the engine oil filter dumping into your tranny...or that must have been a heckuva bump you just hit!

Just filled up today...at 207,xxx miles on the original engine. Still runs strong and doesn't burn oil. Don't think a little bitty magnet on the filter is going to improve on that very much.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Ditto. Just use a decent oil filter (Purolator Premium... not the Pure One, Wix, or NAPA Gold), change oil every 3k (for dino) or 5k (for syn.) and enjoy your Jeep.

Back