• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anyone has this happen to them? (soundbar related)

Vincent

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, first post here. Have had my 96 xj about a year and have been lurking around here ever since. I've always found the info i need using the search function but for this particular question it didn't prove to helpful. Hope you can help. Well i took my soundbar down to fit some infinity reference series 5 1/4" speakers. When I removed the slip nuts from the posts that stick thru the dome light (which holds up the center of the soundbar) i noticed that the metal bracket had come unglued from the roof. It appears that it was glued on with some sort of black rubberized adhesive from the factory. What i want to know is what sort of adhesive is it and where can i get the stuff... or what adhesive may i use as a substitute. Checked with dealer parts guy he didn't know. I figure this must be fairly common place as I would suspect that it fell off due to repeated heating and cooling sessions under the noon day sun. Anyhoo, I tend to ramble so i'll stop now. Thanks in advance :cheers:

you know i have been wondering the same thing, what the heck is that adhesive they use on all sorts of things on metal panels and such. well i think i am gonna try and find out tomorrow. but i think to answer your question as to what would be a good substitute, i would use a 2 part epoxy of sorts. it is designed to hold REEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY WELL!!!

I think I used Liquid Nails. JIM.

Jeep just calls it "structural adhesive," and I can't find out what brand or kind in any of the literature I have on my computers

thx guys for all the great ideas keep them coming. i think i'll try jb weld or gorrilla glue (never used that before) this weekend unless a more definitive answer comes around. just outa couriosity did u guys remove all the factory adhesive first before appling the new stuff.:jester: u guys are great thx again.

Vincent said:
i think i'll try jb weld or gorrilla glue (never used that before) just outa couriosity did u guys remove all the factory adhesive first before appling the new stuff.:jester: u guys are great thx again.

Read the instructions for the Gorrilla Glue. Use a little and wet one surface. It will react with the water and expand.

I used a dremel and a wire wheel to remove the old adhesive and paint, it did a good job and gave me a good surface to glue to. You can use two screws on the curved section of the mount right above the hatch to really lock the bracket in there.

Pigpen said:
Read the instructions for the Gorrilla Glue. Use a little and wet one surface. It will react with the water and expand.
x2

Back