• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud noise?? Yes i searched.

Trax

NAXJA Forum User
We took the XJ to Gatlinburg, which is like 300 miles away. It did fine going to, but coming back is where it started. There was road construction about 100 miles away from home, so we had to go slow. Thats when we noticed a loud roaring noise. I pulled over at the nearest rest stop/exit. When i poped the hood, the sound seemed like it was coming from the serpinteen (sp?) belt area, near the A/C compressor and alternator. The voltage meter was fine, not jumping or anything. Today, it got WAY louder. So do you all know of what it could possibly be?? I took a vid, its in the dark, but oh well its the best i could do for now.

Thanks.

Edit: Its a 2001 with a inline 6, 4.0.

Last edited:
so i assume you went through some water? correct? if you did you could have gotten some debris in the alternator bearings or possibly even the a/c compressor. but i would go with the alternator first. easier to replace and cheaper by far.
but if you did not go through water, then it could be any of the items such as power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor. here is a little tip that might help you out. take a long screwdriver ( preferably flat blade) and start the engine. place the tip of the screwdiver on the alternator AWAY FROM THE PULLEY!!!!!! and belt. careful not to get the screwdriver which you are holding near a moving pulley, you could loose fingers or hand. not happened personally but i have heard stories cause i do work at a dealership.
so back to the noise, when you place the driver on the alternator, put one of your hands at the other end, the end you normally hold, and listen with your ear to see if you hear the vibrations of the growling.
if not from one item, move on to the next and do the same, you will eventually find the source of the noise. hope this helps.
good luck and BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

Loosen and remove the belt, then spin test the AC clutch to see if the clutch bearing has gone bad. If not then do the same with the alternator next.

I am assuming the AC was not on when it still made the noise?

Well, I don't know if anybody has heard of it, but we drove through cades cove, which is made up of small, beat up back roads going through the mountains taking you to old house's and churches. We drove on a gravel/dirt road (not the main road) (about 1/2 mile each way), and on that road we went through about a 10 foot long 5-8 inch puddle at about 10-15mph. Thanks for your response.

Ecomike said:
Loosen and remove the belt, then spin test the AC clutch to see if the clutch bearing has gone bad. If not then do the same with the alternator next.

I am assuming the AC was not on when it still made the noise?

When the a/c is on, you can barely hear it, but, when we turn the ac off, it gets WAY worse.

Trax said:
When the a/c is on, you can barely hear it, but, when we turn the ac off, it gets WAY worse.

The AC clutch bearing is bad. It can be replaced with out removing the refrigerant.

Back