• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speaker location question

99chero

NAXJA Forum User
I have some components that i want to put in my jeep and i need some ideas on where to put them. I have a 10 disc cd changer, 400 watt 4 channel amp along with some 6x9 speakers. I was thinking of putting the amp under the passenger seat but the cd changer wont fit under the driver side (too wide) and i was looking for ideas to put the 6x9s, i was think the rear doors (four door cherokee) but it might interfere with window so im thinking the rear hatch now. any ideas would b great appericated
Thanks
Jhery

put the 6x9's in the rear hatch.

put the amp under the rear seat, and same with the cd changer.

then IF you feel you need extra cooling down there, you can use a small computer fan to push air in there.

new130.jpg
new139.jpg
new105.jpg
new132.jpg
new131.jpg

If you wanted to make it a project mount the cd-changer in the center console. Takes away from storage but then again, the cherokees don't have a lot to begin with. Depending on how big your chager is, I have seen it done. The 6x9's might be able to go in the hatch, provided you have the cavaties that are there. I know in the older ones there are but not sure of they are in the newer ones. My 89' actaully had speakers from the factory mounted there.

2001XJ said:
If you wanted to make it a project mount the cd-changer in the center console. Takes away from storage but then again, the cherokees don't have a lot to begin with. Depending on how big your chager is, I have seen it done. The 6x9's might be able to go in the hatch, provided you have the cavaties that are there. I know in the older ones there are but not sure of they are in the newer ones. My 89' actaully had speakers from the factory mounted there.

yeh their isnt much storage in it so using the center console is out of the question, as for the rear hatch, i should jus open it up and see how much room is there?

jeepcomj said:
put the 6x9's in the rear hatch.

put the amp under the rear seat, and same with the cd changer.

then IF you feel you need extra cooling down there, you can use a small computer fan to push air in there.

will the amp and changer fit under there with the jack in the way or do i have to move it around??

the changer would fit in under the passenger side rear seat I bet. you may have to put the amp under the passenger seat, not sure.

only way to find out is either set them in, or measure them.

only you will know the answer, I was just throwing a pretty darn good idea out there for you.

You will probably have to lose the jack to fit the amp or changer there. Also, remember, depending on how efficient that amp is and how hard you drive the speakers, you will generate heat. This will cause clipping if it gets to hot and you will be suprised how "insulated" the amp will be with stagnate air in a tightly confined spot. You might want to try and move the amp to the "cubby hole" cutout in the back cargo area, or where the spare tire mounts (if you have a spare on the outside of the rig) and lastly, which I don't like the look of, you can mount it right to that back of the rear seat in the cargo area.

99chero said:
yeh their isnt much storage in it so using the center console is out of the question, as for the rear hatch, i should jus open it up and see how much room is there?

yup, that is your best bet, or another option is to scrap the 6x9 and go with a plate style speaker that uses a thicker trim ring so more of the speaker is above the mounting surface, reducing the mounting depth and then you would not need as much room.

thanks alot for your help guys, i really appericate it, it'll mock everything up to see how it all fit, i might be able to get away wit the amp under the passenger side front seat and changer under passenger side rear seat.

2001XJ said:
yup, that is your best bet, or another option is to scrap the 6x9 and go with a plate style speaker that uses a thicker trim ring so more of the speaker is above the mounting surface, reducing the mounting depth and then you would not need as much room.

where can i find the plate style speakers?

99chero said:
where can i find the plate style speakers?

Here are some 4x6's: (traditional plate)

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Infinity_Reference_6422cfp_4_x6_2_way_Plate_Speak_p/1086422cfp.htm

Here are some 6.5's which is what I would go with: (shallow mount)

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Infinity_Reference_6022si_6_1_2_6_3_4_Shallow_2_p/1086022si.htm

INfinity requires a decent amount of power to drive them to get the full range out of them but that is what your amp is for!

Rear door 6x9 installation:

speaker1.jpg

speaker3.jpg

Just need a little creativity, a sawzall, and a drill. Much better sound quality than the rear hatch (and yes the window goes all the way down, YMMV).

vetteboy said:

speaker1.jpg

speaker3.jpg

Just need a little creativity, a sawzall, and a drill. Much better sound quality than the rear hatch (and yes the window goes all the way down, YMMV).

You think so? I had 5.25's in the back doors like that and I thought they kinda sounded wierd, like they were close but far away, if that makes sense. I think the rear hatch fills the rear better and gives an overall better sound. To each his own though.

vetteboy said:

speaker1.jpg

speaker3.jpg

so all u did what cut a hole in the door and door panel and jus mounted them up??

there is a hole in the rear doors already, it will fit a 5.25" w/o modding. Other than that you will have to trim out the hole a bit bigger with a saber or sawzall to fit a bigger speaker, depending on the size of the magnet and voice coil.

2001XJ said:
You think so? I had 5.25's in the back doors like that and I thought they kinda sounded wierd, like they were close but far away, if that makes sense. I think the rear hatch fills the rear better and gives an overall better sound. To each his own though.

Are you sure they were in phase?

The rear hatch is a very poorly sealed enclosure, you end up losing a lot of efficiency and low end from the speakers that way. The size of the rear doors helps to get some more presence out of the speakers.

vetteboy said:
Are you sure they were in phase?

The rear hatch is a very poorly sealed enclosure, you end up losing a lot of efficiency and low end from the speakers that way. The size of the rear doors helps to get some more presence out of the speakers.

Yeah, I made sure they were in phase. I use the old AA battery trick, never fails

thanks alot for the info guys, using the cubby hole would be nice but that is a lil too involved for me right now. i figured out that my amp will fit under the passenger side front seat and my changer will fit under the rear seat on the driver side and i'll jus mount the 6x9's in the rear doors. so hopefully when its all said and done, it should sound decently good. how would i check to see if the speakers are in phase??

Back