• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd engagement or lack of.

boostedvdub80239

NAXJA Forum User
After finding a gravel road I went to test out the 4wd. The shift handle does not seem to go all the way forward to 2H and feels very sloppy, it seems to have only two possitions (2H and 4H). After messing with it I can only get it to go into 4H if I lock the front air locker, arb if it matters, this can only be done some of the time. I cannot seem to find Neutral or 4L.

I have searched and am thinking it is the vacuum lines, I took a quick look and noticed the yellow vacuum line disconnected about a foot from the motor on the axle. I slipped it back on however I am sure this doesn't hold much, if any pressure. Also the rubber connector from the lines to the motor on the axle slips off with ease and I am unsure if this is normal. I searched and came up with this:
White-controls the light on the dash
green-connect
yellow-disconnect

Any suggestions on if these lines/connector could in fact be the problem and if so where do I go from here, any advise on where to pick up the parts would be great, do places like checker auto parts carry them?

Thanks for the help, this will be my third question and with any luck the third that got great responses.

other than doing some type of posi lok type work I beleive switching in the passenger side axle shaft from a later non disco will be your only option.
as mathew said check the vac lines first... If you dont have a vac pump(i suggest getting one they only cost like 20-30 dollars) with the engine running pull the vac lines and see if you can hear them working there is a rubber plug thing that plugs into the vac motor on the axle and they wear out very easily. I just ditched mine and ran an inch and a half piece of rubber hose off each vac line to the nipples on the motor...

The disco vac lines have nothing to do with getting the tcase to shift into neutral or 4 low.
I'd check the fluid level of the tcase and then adjust the linkage so you can engage the tcase in all modes.

To adust the linkage, loosen the 1/2 inch bolt on the linkage under the jeep. Manually put the tcase into 4 low by moving the linkage lever at the tcase, pull the handle all the way up (may want a second set of hands for this) and then tighten the 1/2 inch bolt on the linkage under the jeep. cycle tcase to ensure it hits all modes. Then go fix the vaccum lines.

Check your linkage.

Also you can check your vacuum motor by removing it from the axle. You will be able to see the shifting fork move. Use silicon to glue the vacuum lines onto the motor. If the shifting fork does not move, before you go out a get a new vacuum motor, remove the vacuum switch on the transfer case. It looks like a little distributor cap. The ball bearing in the bottom gets stuck, and this may be your problem.

Back