• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question for stereo experts

PETEY

NAXJA Forum User
I am fixing to upgrade the whole setup. Mind you, it was the early 80's when I was last into this. An "amp" was a 40 watt box you bought with a button to turn it on and off.

I have been searching for some sort of wiring instructions and/or diagrams.
I have no interest in that huge base sound. I have no interest in impressing the teeny boppers and the guy next to me at the red light. I do want good quality sound though. I like heavy metal.

I have a 200 watt stereo (It has rca cable jacks on the back) and 4 x 100 watt speakers (the small round ones, same size as stock) in the stock locations. I also have the adapter that allows you to plug in the after market stereo to the stock stereo wiring harness.

I figure on buying an amp and 1 x 12 inch base speaker. I hope to separate the low frequencies from the base speaker and the 4 x 100 watt speakers.

The question is this:
---Do I keep the 4 stock size speakers wired to the stereo and somehow wire the base and amp separately ?

---Or, do I not use the stock wiring and wire all the speakers to the amp? Is there a way to separate the frequencies this way ?

---What am I going to need besides the stereo and 4 speakers I already have? (besides the base speaker and amp.)

---what kind of amp?

Any help, write ups, suggestions, links would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge of "amps" crossovers" and such is very limited. Budget is very important as I cannot justify spending eleventy seven thousand dollars on a car stereo.

Last edited:
Keep what you have, the way you have it. Get an amp with the crossover built in for ease of install. The only other thing you should need is an amp install kit, which shold include simple instructions how to wire it all up.

good luck

As Rick said .

The RCA outputs on your head unit should plug into a good amp that has an electronic x-over built in . With 4 plugs going in , you will have to "bridge" the amp . The instructions will tell you how to do this .

You will use the power from the head's built in amp to power your 4 speakers .

I hear ya , man . It used to be who had the biggest EG/Amp under the dash with the most sliders , lights and meters :yelclap:

Good luck , bro!

I understand the head unit will power the 4 speakers.

RCA cables from the head unit to the amp. Amp will power the sub. correct?

I have 4 RCA out puts on the head unit. A left, right, and two more for the front out puts. what out put goes to the amp?

Steve Moore, "I hear ya , man . It used to be who had the biggest EG/Amp under the dash with the most sliders , lights and meters"

That's exactly what I remember brother !!!

Most head units have a front and rear outputs and some niceer ones have a sub output. If all you want to do is run the stock size door speakers on the head unit and you want to add a sub then you would want to use the factory wiring and add a stereo wiring harness. The sub out (or if your radio doesnt have a sub) then the rear outs go to the input on the amp. It's quite simple and you can find basic wiring diagrams everywhere... There are tons of different ways to wire it up. It's all in how you want it... good Luck

PETEY said:
I understand the head unit will power the 4 speakers.

RCA cables from the head unit to the amp. Amp will power the sub. correct?

I have 4 RCA out puts on the head unit. A left, right, and two more for the front out puts. what out put goes to the amp?

Typically the rear outputs is used for the sub. Check your stereo manual to be certain. It will usually recommend where to hook it up.

I would say the left and right go to the amp. It should have the inputs for both . Then as I said , you will need to "bridge" the amp if you are just using one sub.

All that is , you come out of the left + and the right - to your sub. It may be vice-versa , but it should talk about bridging in the manual , or do a Googlr search and it will tell ya .

markjrs3 said:
i should think most 200 watt head units these days would have a dedicated sub out, no?

Not neccessarily sub outs but they do have RCA amp outs than can be used for amps on the main speakers or a sub. Any aftermarket head unit worth anything will have them.

markjrs3 said:
i should think most 200 watt head units these days would have a dedicated sub out, no?
Probably , but not always .

I just bought a Sony (208 watts). It has 2 pre amp outputs with selectable sub control. Spent all day tracing wires to put it in. My adapter did not work. The highs and mid range sound really good. It sucks without base though. Been shopping for an amp.

Dad Gum !!! This stuff is expensive !!!

mmxpress.com has good deals if you don't mind ordering through internet

Back