• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4L60E Transmission Swap

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I Just found a great deal on a 4L60E Transmission locally and I was curious if any one has done a swap with just this tranny alone?
I searched but no luck. All I found was a complete swap with the 4.3 motors.
It's a 4L60E Transmission from a 1998 GMC 4wd Jimmy with 100k.

What do you mean? Please go into details if you dont mind, I have no clue about trannys and thier TCU's.
What did the 4L60 come in?

EDIT: is the 4L60 the same as a 700R4?

As far as I know, a 4l60 is the same as a 700r4

the 4l60/700r4's came in 1/2 ton chevy trucks and s-10's

The 4L60 is a 700R4 with some improvements. It still uses a detent cable attached to the throttle linkage to control shifting. The only electronics are for locking up the torque converter and I think an indicator to let the ECM know when the trans is in fourth gear as this is the only gear the TC will lock up in. The lockup signal is sent by the ECM when certain preprogrammed criteria are met, like speed, gear, and throttle position. Theoretically you can make this work with a 4.0.

A 4L60E does not have a detent cable and the PCM controls what gear it's in. You may be able to get this to work in a Chrysler car with some electronics work but IMO it's not worth it.

These trannies were used in nearly every RWD GM car and light truck I can think of off the top of my head. The "L" stands for longitudinal as opposed to say, a 4T60, which is mounted transversely to the centerline of the car.

I bought a used AW4 for $400 when I swapped out my Pewgoat.........I'm a GM fan, but the swap will be much more complex with a 4L60 unit.

like said just about every rwd gm vehicle that had a v6 or v8. Camaro, firebird, astro, exress van, astro van, s10 and blazer variants, caddys with 5.7 chevy v8s, caprice, impalla, big blazer/tahoe, on and on.

Good tranny. But why not use an AW4. Unless you have a empty enigne bay and drive train on your XJ, and your a die hard chevy guy and MUST run a 4.3 and chevy running gear and might as well include the chevy version 231 tc then i dont see any value in this at all. You can get an AW4 for $150 at a pick n pull or cheaper.

Back