• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift problems?

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
well... after 2 long days of screwing around with stubborn rusty bolts and parts that dont fit, i finally got the rear end of my lift done. however, i did not attempt to replace the shocks yet (will do that when i go to torque down all the bolts again) and my rear swaybar is removed. it drove fine down the road (no vibes that i could tell) and it was surprisingly stable even with no sway bar. i netted about 3" over stock (what i was aiming for) in a bastard pack i built myself. but my question is, what problems should i keep an eye out for? also, what will be the best way to approach the upper shock mounts? and for the front, what should i look out there? im going to be finising my lift tomarrow (if all goes well) so i can then post pics. i also took it on a short easy trail testing 4wd for vibes, and it did fine, i can almost say it rides nicer than stock. thanks.

I'd say the first problems you might run into would be driving a vehicle without a complete lift installed. It sounds both unsafe and unwise. I suggest waiting for the lift to be completed, then drive to your local shop for an alignment.

For the rear shocks, punch those broken bolts through with a large drift or metal punch and a sledge. Three whacks is all it took me, then I put my new hardware thread side down through the holes. Do some searching and you'll find the right answers.

For the front, get a good drill bit for the trackbar relocation hole. Also, rent a ball joint removal tool from your local AutoZone (or equivalent). I used that for the swaybar end links and found them to be necessary.

Good luck and post some pics when you are done.

i just took it for a test drive to see if there were any problems with my drive shaft, and there did not appeat to be any, even when i flexed it a little. also, as i look at it, thesse are not the stock shocks, it seems they were replaced before i got it. so i might just get lucky and get those bolts out without a hitch. however, i did get a trackbar, but is the stock one long enough? i bought this 3" bastard pack off of a freind who went up to 4.5. all im doing for the front is swapping coils and the trackbar, is there anything i should look out for there?

scottmcneal said:
watch your brake lines

x2

For the upper shock mounts. PB Blaster and heat are your friends. I use a $30 plumber's torch with the seperate oxygen and mapp gas bottles. That throws off enough heat to get the job done. I don't even mess around, I just go straight for the heat when I start them.

But I have had more problems with the lower fronts. I have snapped every bolt on three lifts now.

My stock track bar was nowhere near long enough for my 3.5" lift. Bad wheel hop and vibes. I mean REALLY bad.

A nest thing to do is visit several websites that deal with lifts. Rubicon Express, for example, provide detailed directions (in a .pdf format) that you can download and use for reference. That will show you what you need to do for the trackbar, brake lines, and other items.

All lifts are different so it is hard to qualify an answer, especially with your bastard lift. I spent a month online getting all sorts of info before I attempted my lift. Best thing I have ever done. My Jeep rocks, baby!

- ROCKNXJ

I hope you got a new adjustable track bar...i wouldnt even mess with trying to use the stock one for 3 inches of lift....

I had a 3 inch Rusty's and the stock trackbar was the right length. I tried a relocation bracket, because everyone said I needed one, and it threw the front axle off center very badly.

im not sure if this trackbar is adjustable or not, im assuming it will work though, as he ran it at 3.5" (the lift netted 3.5 in the front, 3 in the rear for him) but other than that, are there any adjustments i should make other than that?

i just finished the front end (finally) and all i have left to do is torque down all my bolts and reconnect my front swaybar. however, how bad will my alignment be off? and if there anyway to do some adjustments myself to the alignment (to be safe on the road) and what price range am i looking at for a professional alignment? thanks, ill be finishing the lift tomorrow.

Serveck said:
what price range am i looking at for a professional alignment?

My alignment shop is about $50-$60. No you can't do it yourself!!!! You will go through tire like mad if it's out of alignment. Well worth the money.

use a tape messure in front an rear inside of front tires, get them close to the same so you can drive to get it done, hope this makes since

Back