• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ah..thats better :) exhaust round 2

Motorvated

NAXJA Forum User
Took that POS muffler off today...but a magnaflow on there. Sounds pretty good! Still slightly to quiet. BUT Ive heard that they get louder as they break in.

Now im looking to bore my TB,intake/tbspacer. APN header and magnaflow HF cat. Should give me the sound and performance im looking for..for now.

I dont see how they get louder as they "break in" unless it's a glasspack or something.... Maybe the o2 sensors adjusting????

Alademuerte said:
I dont see how they get louder as they "break in" unless it's a glasspack or something.... Maybe the o2 sensors adjusting????

IDK, in theory they might???
Magnaflows are a true straight through design with a perforated tube and interior baffling material... like a glass pack with a big shell. If this material changes form like the fiberglass in a glass pack, it will change the tone.

back in the HS days (like 6 years ago) we would buy cherry bomb glass packs and put them on our cars at school. A buddy slid a water hose up the glass pack while the vehicle was on and it ended up blowing out a little of the packing. It became really loud after a short time, we were told we blew out the packing and made whatever was left more compacted to increase the tone.

My exhaust became louder the other day, then again my catalytic converter and flow master fell off. :) Sounds like I have a V8 in it or something, but it's just too loud now. Coming from a guy who works in a helicopter.

Motorvated said:
yupp...every muffler will become louder after time....My flowmaster did the same thing on my TJ.

How is this going to get louder with no packing to degrade?

Yeah, "chambered" mufflers aren't going to change tone unless the baffles rot away, usually the shell is toast by then.

The Flowmaster on my truck has never changed tone, but the glass pack on my XJ did.

Motorvated said:
Well..the flowmaster defifnatley got deeper over time...maybe you didnt have that experiance. SteveT...loose the attitude.

Hmmm, IDK, there really isn't anything inside the muffler itself to cause it to change tone. They just have steel baffles inside, no additional material to degrade. Maybe your cat? If it starts to deteriorate the tone will deepen.

Oh, and SteveT seemed to have a legit question, I didn't see much attitude there?

Last edited:
I agree with the flowmaster comment. I have had the same set on my Barracuda for 10 years and I bought them used. Still sound the same as day one.

Some of my friends have claimed that there flowmasters have gotten louder, but I atribute that to them driving to the muffler shop with no exhaust at all. Then the mufflers seem super quite and as they get used to the mufflers they seem louder.

I've had a Magnaflow on now for almost 2 years. It has gotten louder as time went on. Sounds great.

Well...My TJ had a stock exhuast. After it left the mufler shop, it had an empty stock cat and a FM40 series. Within a few months, it was louder. Just my experiance. Your right there is no packing in it to deteriorate or anything..but it sure got louder. maybe it got water in it and started to rust from the inside out? is that possible?

*sorry to SteveT, I was havin a bad night. Your comment really was fine lol*

*sorry to SteveT, I was havin a bad night. Your comment really was fine lol*

:thumbup: :peace: :wave1:

Last edited:
Back the topic. ditch the magnaflow and get a delta flow 40.

Back