• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 44 build

rehab

NAXJA Forum User
just looking for some input on the way i have everything laid out before i burn everything home. here are the pics:

77 f150 HP44 narrowed to 80-91 waggy width. ford outers. 4:10 gears and a lockright for now, until i upgrade to 35's
008.jpg

passenger side:
007.jpg

track bar and coil mount, i still have to add gussets to the track bar mount and the upper mount:
006.jpg

driver side:
005.jpg

front:
004.jpg

and the way everything sits right now:
009.jpg

seems that the pass. side upper control arm mount could be welded more where it meets the axle. Looks good though

oh my bad, i musta read it too fast, thought he said before i bolt it home

my only input is that if this were mine i'd like to see the pass. side upper link mount gusseted. i know it's probably fine, but i like things to be a bit on the beefy side. other than that i think it looks fine so far.

Why go through all that trouble and not do hi-steer?
The ability to raise the steering for better angles is one of the main reasons to swap in a front Dana44.

Jes said:
Why go through all that trouble and not do hi-steer?
The ability to raise the steering for better angles is one of the main reasons to swap in a front Dana44.
$$$$

I am already in the whole right now. maybe over the winter, but as of right now it will due.

I did the same thing you are doing a few years back. I didnt do high steer when I did the 44 swap and regretted it. I kept blowing through TREs with heavy offroad use due to poor steering angles. I finally got around to doing it, and wish I had just spent the money and did it in the first place. I had to change all the track bar mounts on the axle and buy all new steering ends as well as have a new tie rod and drag link made. You will be spending money twice by going with regular steering, then high steer later.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I did the same thing you are doing a few years back. I didnt do high steer when I did the 44 swap and regretted it. I kept blowing through TREs with heavy offroad use due to poor steering angles. I finally got around to doing it, and wish I had just spent the money and did it in the first place. I had to change all the track bar mounts on the axle and buy all new steering ends as well as have a new tie rod and drag link made. You will be spending money twice by going with regular steering, then high steer later.

AARON

At 4.5" of lift, my angles aren't bad so there is no need for all that.

Yea thats what I said when I was at 5" of lift, but even then it didnt work out so well for my TREs. Maybe you will have better luck....

AARON

Looks like the steering linkage may hit the trackbar mount when you turn. And the trackbar itself may interfere with the draglink or tie rod.

Usually trackbars are relocated to above the tubes for clearance.

Looks like nice fitting solid brackets, that's alot of work to build those.

87xjco said:
Looks like the steering linkage may hit the trackbar mount when you turn. And the trackbar itself may interfere with the draglink or tie rod.

Usually trackbars are relocated to above the tubes for clearance.

Looks like nice fitting solid brackets, that's alot of work to build those.

I am thinking that it might also, but it doesnt stick out too much further than the stock mount so I don't know. I am still waiting on my tie rod and drag link from JCR. If it comes down too it, I will have to build something real quick to get me by.

thanks for the compliments, I try to make everything myself. to me, a little time and building it yourself has a lot more gratification at the end.

Back