• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the easiest way to connect e-brake cables?

I'm almost finished with my D44 swap, just need to finish the brakes and put the wheels back on. I can't seem to get the e-brake cables connected. The length seems fine. I know that I need to compress the spring around the cable so I can hook the 'barrel' to the parking brake lever on the trailing shoe, but I can't for the life of me get that spring to compress. Can I un-hook the parking brake cables from the junction under the transmission tunnel and slide them towards the rear to take some tension off the spring and make it easier to compress, or is there some reason that that wouldn't work?

An extra set of hands (and a couple of pairs of slip lock pliers) may be necessary, though I have done it by myself. Hold the shoe up into possition then rotate the shoe down (180 degrees) and hook up the cable before rotating the shoe back up into possition and installing the hold down springs. Works for me and seems to be a lot easier.

Grab 2 pairs of vice-grips, and the largest socket you have. grab the spring with one pair and the end bolt with the other pair, stick the socket inbetween the pair and squeeze together the 2 pairs of pliers. It gives you enough room to slide it in and get it all done.

MoparRobbie said:
Grab 2 pairs of vice-grips, and the largest socket you have. grab the spring with one pair and the end bolt with the other pair, stick the socket inbetween the pair and squeeze together the 2 pairs of pliers. It gives you enough room to slide it in and get it all done.
Now that sounds like a good idea. Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

MoparRobbie said:
Just hooked up the cables using this tip. It worked like a charm.

Back