• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's with MINIMAL cutting

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well heres the deal. I just picked up an exceptionally nice 98 sport with pristine dark blue paint. So I would rather not go tearing the whole thing up to fit on 35's. I'm planning on putting new flares on them so some cutting will be required, but I want to keep it as little as possible since this thing is in such incredibly nice condition. I got it for $1200 btw hehe.

Anyway my question is, what size lift should I look into to fit the tires. I was thinking around a 6.5-7 maybe. I'm really puzzled about how to go about it. Bastard leaf pack? Shackles? Blocks? and in the front, coils all the way? Or a combination of coils and spacers? Help would be fantastic.

Depends on how you wheel. Plus there are many other things needed for 35's. Im kinda new to all this but I know some things. You will need gears, sye, drieveshaft, gears, wheels, a full lift kit, track bar and probably hd bracket, steering. Hw you go about putting it all together and what specific part you use will be based upon what you will use it for. The other guys on here will give you some more in depth info but I think i might of covered the basics.

Last edited:
well my brother has a 95 that him and i have completely rebuilt, ford 9", rear discs, all kinds of stuff... and we tear that thing to hell. and it's finally starting to show. So I'm thinking I'll keep this one nicer, mud doesn't bother me at all, but rocks and mad flexing will most likely be kept to a minimum.

could i do a transfer case drop instead of sye and driveshafts? we had to do that on the 95 and it was a pita...

Yea, you buy lots of parts and put it together. You need about $3,000 and 300 hours. You say lots of bad words, paint your hands with new skin and cover the shower walls with black juice every night.
After about 2 months, your pristine blue Jeep doesn't look so pristine
all of sudden. But it's fun =)

PS. Good luck with keeping the "Mad Flexing" to a minumum. How do you control that?

Last edited:
lol so true^^
Your gonna run a 6.5 inch lift...You want short arms or longarm? Shorts will require drop brackets. Also a SYE should be in order when going witht hat much lift. Than your going to need gears,possibly a new rear axle depending on what you have, Brakes are also a big one when going to 35s. A lot to stop in a hurry

X2 you will need an SYE, TC drop wont cut it.....

You know you can trim without "tearing the whole thing up".
Just trim, or you will need to run so much bumpstopping to stop up travel & sqashing your untrimmed fenders.

Use your money for a Tube Shark and build a rock buggy. It will end up looking like a buggy anyway some day. It would be less aggrivating and less time consuming if you just built a tube buggy from day 1.

don't run 35s if you want to keep it all nice. 3 inch lift t-case drop run 31s or regear and go 32s with those flares you're talking about. lock it and your set.

Hmm so looks like 33's will be more pratical for this application. I forgot about having to re-gear everything or axle swapping with 35's. And no, it's not going to be a tube buggy, thats what I plan on making either my s10 or the other jeep.

You can get away with the RE 5.5" kit and 33's without cutting, if you bumpstop a bit more. Even with 33's you will need to regear, or your transmission will get fried pretty quick - not to mention about a 30% loss in gas mileage.

Regearing sucks, becuse it's hard to do, and expensive.
But it is necessary. If you have 3.73s (check) you probably will be ok for 31s or so, but with 33s I'd get some 4.10s lined up.

barillms said:
Regearing sucks, becuse it's hard to do, and expensive.
But it is necessary. If you have 3.73s (check) you probably will be ok for 31s or so, but with 33s I'd get some 4.10s lined up.

That math is good for V8 trucks with no overdrive.

On an XJ, you will want 4.10's for 31's and 4.56 for 33's.. With 4.10's and 33's, you will either need to drive around in third gear or fry your transmission, while getting shitty mpg. ;)

It gets by yes. If you were to put 4.88's in, you would probably gain 4-5 mpg and it would feel like a whole new car.

Ben H said:
It will be more "just fine" with lower gears

that's funny right there :laugh3:

x2 on the gears, 4.10s and 35 have GOT TO SUCK of course if you have never had any deeper gears you don't know what you are missing.

How hard would gears be to do myself? I mean is it worth it, or is a shop a better choice? I'm very mechanically inclined, but I don't wanna get into something that is gonna screw me over in the end or should be done professionally. I'm definately going with 33's so looks like I'll be putting pieces for the lift together shortly :)

Back