• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Roof Rack

Farmer Dean

NAXJA Forum User
There was a post a few days ago about someone wanting to mount fuel on a stock roof rack. I built this PVC rack over my stock rack about 4 years ago and it has worked fine for thousands of miles. I used sch 40 2" PVC. I do not go off road with my fuel up high, I off load at a 'base' camp. I cut up an old bed liner and glued a piece (under each can) to the roof. I use a rachet strap to hold them down to my gutter with two little grab brackets I made (I have also seen those brackets for sale). There's no doubt it's a rolling bomb, so drive accordingly! FD.
XJrack-1.jpg

Right on man, I take it you dont smoke? :smoker: HA_HA....That is a pretty neat idea and keeps the fuel and fumes out of the car...unless your into that kind of stuff!!

I need to carry lots of fuel on a few trips a year, and I usually find a buddy with a trailer to throw my shit on to keep it out of the Xj, but I'm thinking since i just onload the fuel at camp after i get off the highway, maybe a Hitch mounted cargo rack of some kind would work. I just imagine in an accident that the gas on the roof wouldnt be good... Cover the entire vehicle in gasoline.... Not that carrying them on the back is a perfect solution either.

I don't think I'll ever have a need for this, but I have to say that I'm impressed with your ingenuity! That's a really cool solution for not much $ (which is a good thing in my book!)

Where did u get the spare mount fuel can holder? Thats sweet!

That rear tank is kind of scary. Imagine somebody hitting you from behind.....

I do like the idea though of those hitch baskets. They fold up when not in use but fold down when in use.

Folded down
basket_main.gif

Folded up
folding-basket-6.jpg

I was the one asking about puting cans up there. Thanks, that looks perfect for my means. I will be getting my cans delivered tomorrow and i can go to Lowes this weekend to get the suplied to put that together.

Back