• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i replace my 44 with 8.8

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
picked up a dirt cheap and complete 8.8 for 50 bucks. drum brakes and 3.27 gears though. FIgured i would get some thoughts if its any better than my xj dana 44 with a detriot and 3.55 gears right now. THat 8.8 sure looks beefy though and i know it has bigger shafts and ring gear. What do you think, sell it make some buck or build it?

That's pretty much the worst stock-configured 8.8 you can use to upgrade with.

Don't bother unless you feel like throwing a few more hundred bucks into it for minimal gain.

dellstopjeep said:
picked up a dirt cheap and complete 8.8 for 50 bucks. drum brakes and 3.27 gears though. FIgured i would get some thoughts if its any better than my xj dana 44 with a detriot and 3.55 gears right now. THat 8.8 sure looks beefy though and i know it has bigger shafts and ring gear. What do you think, sell it make some buck or build it?

no whats the point? not worth the hassle of converting it if you are not getting discs

That makes NO sense; stick with the 44. Drum brake 8.8s aren't worth much, and if you've already got the D44 dialed in, then don't mess with it. The 8.8 is a little stronger, but certainly not enough to bother with re-doing everything you've already done to the 44.

-----Matt-----

P.S. $50 is the going rate for drum-brake 8.8s.

Not much of a upgrade IMO. If you had the turdy five I would say jump on it. But the way it is would cost you for gears, and you would still have drum brakes.

Wow, no one had replied yet when I started my reply typing with two fingers:laugh:

everyones all up on the 8.8s jock like its the end all axle.....meh.

if you want discs so bad find a grand cherokee and snag the d44 discs on that.

IXNAYXJ said:
Drum brake 8.8s aren't worth much, .

I disagree. I'm happy with mine. Discs would be nice but I don't have to have them, and it's worlds better than the D35 that was under it. Yes, it is 31 spline too.:D

You won't find one around here for $50 either. :rolleyes:

To the OP:
Don't do it. It'd be a waste of time.

Hale

Haleyes said:
I disagree. I'm happy with mine. Discs would be nice but I don't have to have them, and it's worlds better than the D35 that was under it. Yes, it is 31 spline too.:D

You won't find one around here for $50 either. :rolleyes:
Believe me, I'm a big proponent of the 8.8...I've beat the snot out of mine and can't believe it hasn't broken. That being said, aside from the disc brakes, I don't think it's that much better than a D44. And it's a c-clip axle whereas the D44 is not.

I also think the OP has a Ranger axle with 28 spline axles...$50 all day long. I'd rather have a ChryCo 8.25 and those are pretty easy to find and a direct bolt-in. Compared to your previous D35, absolutely the drum-brake 8.8 is an improvement...but that's not what we're talking about.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Believe me, I'm a big proponent of the 8.8...I've beat the snot out of mine and can't believe it hasn't broken. That being said, aside from the disc brakes, I don't think it's that much better than a D44. And it's a c-clip axle whereas the D44 is not.

I also think the OP has a Ranger axle with 28 spline axles...$50 all day long. I'd rather have a ChryCo 8.25 and those are pretty easy to find and a direct bolt-in. Compared to your previous D35, absolutely the drum-brake 8.8 is an improvement...but that's not what we're talking about.

-----Matt-----

Gotcha.
Just had to throw in my two pennies.:D

Hale

Back