• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few problems-brakes and starter noises

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 2wd XJ, w/ a AW4 with 206k on it. I recently replaced the starter a week ago and the front brakes 3 months ago(pads rotors and calibers).

Problems: Whenever the engine is running and I shift into park I get this horrbile high pitched grinding noise that last the entire time it's in park. Then while I shift in or out of neutral it makes the same noise for a split second. and the lights dim and my radio resets. It also WILL NOT start in neutral. It drives and shifts fine while in drive. I'm thinking the starter has something to do with this but I wanted your guys opinion.

Also I'm having to change my front brakes every 3-4 months, but I havn't had to touch my rear brakes, the master cylinder is fine and the brake lines look ok. Does anyone know what could be causeing this?

Any seggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

anyone?

are the front brakes dragging exsessively? drive a coupel miles then park the truck and touch your front wheels. they should be warm but not painfully hot.

you will have to be more descriptive about the noise

it will not start in neutral because the NSS is either dirty or out of adjustment

quickly wearing brakes can be caused by several things...do both pads and both sides wear evenly?

Back