• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extended idle switch

dennisgrimm

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... I have searched and read these posts to get info to install an extended idle switch.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549&highlight=extended+idle+switch

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77285&highlight=extended+idle+switch

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88165&highlight=extended+idle+switch

I thought I knew everything I needed to know.

I have a '99 2dr 4.0L XJ with manual transmission (AX15).

I pulled the BLACK 32 pin connector from my ECM (closest to the front of the jeep). I looked for the grey wire at pin #12 so I could wire a switch to ground it. My jeep does not have a pin nor wire at position #12!

I went back to my computer, re-read the posts, looked in my FSM and am still confused. Where is the grey wire for pin #12? Is this to do with having a manual tanny? If not

did you check to see if there is a pin in the ECU and its not just missing from the plug? This was a police package deal and I have never seen a 5-speed police XJ so it kind of makes sense to me.

The 4 cylinder has the same deal for the power steering like you said. However you don't have a four cylinder so your manual 4.0 ECU will not have that feature.

Its a worthwile easy mod for us Aw4 guys :) i love mine

dennisgrimm said:
Has anyone else tried to do this mod only to find the appropriate wire missing? What is the fix?

I tried to do this mod to my '96 and found that grounding the wire in position 12 did nothing. Additionally, the wire color is different to that showed in the picture posted by 2000XJSPORT. Interestingly, the wire in pin 12 is dark blue and orange as it should be for a '96. However, there are several wires missing from the connector. If I had a good wiring diagram, I may be able to make it work. It ia a motter of knowing what wire goes where and what it does.

The manual tranny xj has a different ECM than the auto one. According to my FSM the manual ECM does not have the idle actuator trigger.

I'm still trying this on my 92 with a 94 computer. I grounded pin 10 and no luck. somewhere I saw that I needed to run 1v to the pin 10. anyone verify or deny?

I unplugged the connector to make sure there was a pin at #12 and there was, so I think I am going to drill a hole in the connector so I can hook up a wire to it and ground it to see if it works. I'm assumeing that if a manual tranny wasn't a police option they just wouldn't include the wire for the manual's so it wouldnt be referenced in the fsm. I'll post the outcome after I try it, if anyone knows a specific reason for me not to do this please speak up.
On another subject, I took my XJ 4-wheeling for the first time last night and when I'm in 4-low it started to get hot! I put it 4-high and it seemed to fix the problem, however when I got home the electric fan stayed on for hours after I shut of the XJ so just disconnected the battery. I thought this fan was for the AC and the pulley fan was for engine cooling. anyway i like being in 4-low and am curious to know others are doing to stay cool. By the way I'm new to the XJ scene and was very impressed with this vehicles capabilities.

You can probably still technically DO it......but it was never offered for manual trans XJ's, since it was only offered for police package XJ's......and they were always automatics.

Back