• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made Winch Bumper

racer32

NAXJA Forum User
So I have always liked the look of the ARB winch bumpers for the XJ. Problem is, I could never justify spending $900 on a bumper :shocked:

I started in Autocad and Google Sketchup and after about 932 revsions and tweaks I finally think I got a design I like:

mini-ARB-COPY1.jpg

On to cutting:

mini-IMG_0620.jpg

mini-IMG_0623.jpg

And throw in a few tack welds:

mini-IMG_0621.jpg

mini-IMG_0625.jpg

mini-IMG_0624.jpg

mini-IMG_0626.jpg

mini-IMG_0628.jpg

I'm pretty happy so far. My SmittyBilt winch is going to fit nicely and be totally hidden behind the bumper. Frame tie in plates and the winch tray will be made from 3/16. The bumper itself is 10 ga (.1345 thick). Probably throw a couple rectangular lights on it, paint it and call it good.

I'm just dreading all the finish grinding I have to do :(

wow, keep it up!

Did you draw that front end in auto cad or did you get it from a web site?

I found the complete CAD model in Google Sketchup, then converted it over to an autocad drawing, modeled the bumper, then imported it back into Sketchup. I have a .dwg format file of the pre-97 cherokees if any other cad monkeys want it...

DONE! I need to get some mag lite clips and a license plate frame so i can mount the plate but other than that, its done!

I was re-wiring the remote plug harness and found the most interesting thing of the weekend. This was under the protective sheathing of the harness:
mini-IMG_0755.jpg

I removed the solenoid from the factory box and mounted it next to the winch under the bumper:
mini-IMG_0753.jpg

The remote plug is tucked up next to the pass. side upright:
mini-IMG_0759.jpg

All done!!
mini-IMG_0764.jpg

mag lite clips make the lic plate easy to pop on and off of the rollers on the fairlead.

nice bumper, good work! :D

Great Job!!! That came out sweet.

Thanks for all the comments guys.... I really want to leave work early and go uproot a tree or drag a Civic into a ditch or something... :)

Wait till tomorrow and you can drag Pat's Tomb Raider across the parking lot....
Looks Awesome!

Back