• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KICK ME or guide me to a how-to for a crank postition sensor

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
I made up a little thread at JU and it's not getting any responses, but it provides good background info to what my Jeep is facing... http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837713

My Jeep is still at my dad's house (rural area) so if one doesn't work it's going to be a pita so I'm thinking of trying both a coil and crank postition sensor. Does anyone know where it is (or a writeup preferably) for a 96 auto XJ? (or anything with a 4.0... they can't be that different, right?)

thanks for the help, and tolerating my lack of skills with the search button.:dunce: At least I used it.:clap:

-Matthew

i don't know were the cps is on the 96 xj's but i know the cps on my 90 xj is on the top of thr tranny on the drivers just behind the bellhousing. hope that helps

There are tons of threads here with info on CPS's
do a search for cps* Yes, use the astrisk in the search field. The search engine here doesn't like anything 3 characters or less

for the quick version its on top of the tranny and comes off with 2 bolts...takes about a hr to change if you can get some tiny hands in there, or you can lower the engine/tranny a tad and have plenty of space... very simple and easy, the only challenge is figuring out how to get yoru hands/tools in there...

Check you diag codes. A faulty CPS should be logged. I had an intermittant CPS problem that would have been hard to find if not for the diag codes.

I can change a CPS in about 7 minutes. I use 3 'wobble' 3 inch extensions and a standard 7" extension with a small 3/8 drive ratchet, it reaches right up to it.

How many have you done to do it it 7 minutes? :roll:
Takes me longer to find my tools and crawl under!
As tampaxj said two bolts. I use 1/4 drive socket and a couple extensions. Wobble ext. a good idea too. Dont forget to use chewing gum or some such so the screws dont fall out of the socket and into the bell housing. You dont want that to happen!

tommyr said:
How many have you done to do it it 7 minutes? :roll:
Takes me longer to find my tools and crawl under!

5? 6? i already know where my tools are before I go looking, though.

I ended up doing this last autumn, odd to see this thread back from the dead, but I went to sears and they had some assortment of extentions and wobbles in different sizes all in one box that ended up being much less $ than buying them seperate, so I purchased that, and a long 3/8 extention. I have pics somewhere highlighting how I did it. Took me about 45 minutes.

Back