• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Manual transmission

boostedvdub80239

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a 90 xj with a 5speed transmission, I am fairly new to the jeep world and do not know how well the standard 5-speed holds up. Any pros and cons of the manual over the auto?

By 1990 it should be an AX-15 which typically holds up very well. The earlier Peugeot transmissions didn't hold up as well but I believe they quit using those in late 89 early 90. The AX-15 should get you up to or over 300k if you treat it right.

The AX-15 replaced the Peugeot BA-10/5 sometime around AUG1989. I got a 1990 - strictly for the transmission (it's the old URF "Trash Rig" - I just got the rest of the truck with the transmission. The transmission is now in my 88.)

The AX-15 is an acceptable replacement, and should stand up to a fair bit without trouble. A better replacement would be the NV3550, but those weren't used until 2001, IIRC.

The 1990 will have the "internal" slave cylinder, so a slave leak will result in having to pull the transmission (it's also called a "Concentric cylinder" or a "hydraulic bearing" - in catalogues. What I call them is far less complimentary...)

I like my AX-15

good box, mine's been beat on and has 270K miles on it. It was from a 90 even.

they're a bit noisy, and shifting to second can be interesting on a winter morning until the gear oil warms up.
You'll know you're driving a truck.

AX-15 tranny is doing great. As a side note, make sure you use GL-3 or GL-4 gear oil. DO NOT use GL-5, as this contains sulfur, and sulfur and bronze don't mix well.

AX-15 and loving it.

125,000+ on it, still tight been a straight trail rig for last 3 years and wheeled hard.

Back