• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Swamper SX's and a Dana 30

ewander

NAXJA Forum User
Just out of curiousity is anyone out there running the super swamper SXs in the 36X1350 height on their Dana 30? I have been wheeling 35" MTRs and BFGs for years and am thinking about some Super Swamper SXs. I think they are about 77 pounds per tire, about 11 pounds heavier than the MTRs.

I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal.

Thanks,

Eric

Do you have hardened axles ? I run 35 BFGs with Yukon axles and haven't broke. I broke the stock shafts. I'm pretty easy on the skinny too. Just watch when you get bound. I see Dana 60s with 35s break then.

I've seen a couple guys run 36x13.5 Irok's on d30's, but as far as I recall they were both on 30 spline setups. I've been considering going that way with my next set of shoes as well (also all 30 spline on the d30). Hasn't been a high carnage factor, but all easy on the skinny. I'd be more worried about the ring gear than shafts, make sure you have at least a light truss and a good hard diff cover like a crane or rockcrusher.

Ya, I know a couple people who ran 36x13.5 Iroks on d30's with the 30 spline setup w/ ARB lockers, and I can only remember one u-joint failure and one ring gear stripage from the couple years I've seen them wheel. One of the guys even ran a super 35 locked with the Iroks, and nothing happened. This particular person has since moved on to D44's, but sold his axles to another who is running 35'' Krawlers.

i used to wheel a 30 on 36s....i wheeled quite a bit. no breakage.

Last edited:
boise49ers said:
Do you have hardened axles ? I run 35 BFGs with Yukon axles and haven't broke. I broke the stock shafts. I'm pretty easy on the skinny too. Just watch when you get bound. I see Dana 60s with 35s break then.

I have the stock shafts with the 297 u-joints. I haven't broken yet, but am considering upgrading to some alloy USA's or Yukons. I may give them a try on this next set of tires.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Eric

ewander said:
Just out of curiousity is anyone out there running the super swamper SXs in the 36X1350 height on their Dana 30? I have been wheeling 35" MTRs and BFGs for years and am thinking about some Super Swamper SXs. I think they are about 77 pounds per tire, about 11 pounds heavier than the MTRs.

I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal.

Thanks,

Eric

Just curious, why do you want to run the Swampers? 11lbs is significant when you consider it's rotating weight. Harder to stop and harder to get going, let alone drive train strain. Do you believe the traction gains will be that much better?

Bill

ewander said:
I have the stock shafts with the 297 u-joints. I haven't broken yet, but am considering upgrading to some alloy USA's or Yukons. I may give them a try on this next set of tires.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Eric

Skip the yukons, spend a little more and get 10 year warantee alloy usa's. Their service is A+.

AREYOULIVING said:
Just curious, why do you want to run the Swampers? 11lbs is significant when you consider it's rotating weight. Harder to stop and harder to get going, let alone drive train strain. Do you believe the traction gains will be that much better?

Bill

I've been watching them in action and they are pretty impressive. The SSR might be another option. The lugs seem to really grab and move people over things easier than the lesser muds. I agree with you 100% on the weight. That is a big concern, so I'm just not sure yet. I am I am always concerned about steering as well as stopping.

my sxs wouldnt balance....waaaay toomany little lugs here and there. i used alot of combinations of airsoft pellets to no avail.

sxs are bulletproof, the sidewalls grab like mad, but i would never dream of driving them on the street again.

ewander said:
I've been watching them in action and they are pretty impressive. The SSR might be another option. The lugs seem to really grab and move people over things easier than the lesser muds. I agree with you 100% on the weight. That is a big concern, so I'm just not sure yet. I am I am always concerned about steering as well as stopping.

My brother ran 37" SSR's and they were awesome. Really smooth on the street and with the exception of the gooey stuff they were great offroad. It took him a few trips to get the sidewalls to break in but after they did whoohoo!

I ran 36" TSL's on my wrangler with a locked d44 and open front d30 combo and worse I did was twist a shaft on the D44. That was from pulling a full size bronco out of a creek full of huge rocks and lifting the front end several times from getting on it. D30 held up without a glitch.

Back