• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 4.0 weird problem

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 xj that recently the check engine light came on. While the light is on it wont start or even crank. It's like when you try and start an engine in gear. well 95 percent of the time it'll start right up if you move it from park to nuetral. Also while the light is on it won't shift into overdrive sometimes. If the light is off or i reset it has no problems what so ever. I took it to auto zone and they told me the code that came up is a trans range sensor and that jeeps don't have it. I called jeep and they said it sounds like a nuetral saftey switch. Is this the case? And if so where is it located? I just lost my job and they wanted over 400 for the part so I would like to go to the local u pull it junk yard if that is the problem. Please help guys!

Re: 97 4.0 wierd problem

I almost passed out when I read your post... did the dealer really ask 400 DOLLARS for the NSS??? I had to replace that on an old gf's Ford Taurus and it was like $39.99 at Autozone. It goes by different names, like transmission range sensor, park safety switch, etc. I've found it can cause all sorts of parts on an automatic tranny, although I have yet to deal with one on an XJ. Looking through some stores, I see it is substantially more expensive than the Taurus one, like 100-200 bucks (no idea why). I would suggest cleaning it before replacing it completely; I have read that tiny amounts of oil have been known to drip in that area and could screw up the reading.

Im having the same problem with my 94, definitely the NSS, do you guys know if the instructions for the 97 will work on my 94? Im assuming they will. Thanks a bunch. That link to go-jeep is awesome.

I almost passed out when I read your post... did the dealer really ask 400 DOLLARS for the NSS??? I had to replace that on an old gf's Ford Taurus and it was like $39.99 at Autozone. It goes by different names, like transmission range sensor, park safety switch, etc. I've found it can cause all sorts of parts on an automatic tranny, although I have yet to deal with one on an XJ. Looking through some stores, I see it is substantially more expensive than the Taurus one, like 100-200 bucks (no idea why). I would suggest cleaning it before replacing it completely; I have read that tiny amounts of oil have been known to drip in that area and could screw up the reading.
The reason it's so expensive is that in addition to the neutral safety function, it also controls backup lights, and tells the transmission computer what gear you're in. It still ought to be cheaper, of course, but it is a multi-function switch.

By all means, rebuild before replacing. Read on line instructions carefully to avoid breaking it.

Back