• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a kayak rack for my '99

leadnbrass

NAXJA Forum User
Got a '99 XJ with a factory rack. I've been using foam blocks and ratchet straps to carry my 13.8ft kayak. It's been working but I don't trust it for any high speed distance travel.

Was thinking of a rack that I can use. It seems that I would need towers and a load bar with the gutter system.

Anyone use a kayak mount on the factory rack???

Any ideas on what else to use???

i've got an 88 xj. i took a yakima rack system with the gutter mount towers and put a basket up ther. ripped off the factory rack and just filled in the holes with silicone. i'm sure you could leave the factory rack on and just adapt a yakima system to your gutters with a kayak carrier. also many rack companies make adapters that will fit on factory racks. good luck. i dont think it would really be a problem just using the factory rack. they are built fairly tough. and as long as you have everything strapped down good it should hold.

I use the Yakima 1A towers and 6' bars. I also have the stackers so I can carry our 14' Mad River canoe and our 2 Wilderness Gear 10' touring kayaks.

No problems with hauling them at high speed, I only use the Yakima straps and they hold everything fine. I used to use a bow/stern strap to the bumpers but found that it just isn't needed.

This is my son in front of me with his yak on the factory rack and my friend in front of him with his 97' and the same set up I have on my 90' all moving at 75 mph.

canoetripgo2.jpg

xjtrailrider...

Nice set-up's you guys have. I guess I'll check into the yakima racks. I was trying to find a rack that attached to the side bars of the factory rack. Then I would be able to remove the factory load bars.

Something about the new rack going over the factory rack just irks me. But if thats the only way then so be it.

BTW...do you just paddle or do you fish as well???

I have Thules for canoe, bicycles, and cartop carrier on both my XJ's. Not that they're anything to prefer over Yakimas, but that's what I keep finding at junkyards and yard sales, so that's what I've always had. I would not trust the factory racks for heavy hauling, not only because they might bend, but because I've had enough problem with roof leaks, and suspect the stress on the mounts would make it worse. If the redundancy really bothers you you can always take the factory bars off.

The old style racks on the 87 were better for that in a way, because you could take the bars off and leave the little tiedowns. On the other hand, they tore out and leaked like crazy, so I guess there's a tradeoff.

leadnbrass said:
xjtrailrider...

Nice set-up's you guys have. I guess I'll check into the yakima racks. I was trying to find a rack that attached to the side bars of the factory rack. Then I would be able to remove the factory load bars.

Something about the new rack going over the factory rack just irks me. But if thats the only way then so be it.

BTW...do you just paddle or do you fish as well???

We fish and float the James mostly, anywhere from Springwood to Glasgow

On my 90 I have the Yakima Towers that go on the factory rails and it is fine for what we have pictured, on my 96 I have the 1A guttermouts. The gutter mounts are stronger but you can use the factory rails with the right towers.

Back