• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GAS Leak!! #5 fuel injector?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so I replaced my thermostat and now theres gas pouring out of the engine, out of the #5 injector I'm assuming, the first 4 look brand new and are orange, the last two are black and pretty greasy compared to the others,

can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong while i was working on the thermostat that the fuel injector would start leaking gas?

i dont think it is safe to drive, is there any place that would have the part i need? would autozone have it?

I'll go search for swap instructions, if you know of a post with good directions or pictures (even better) I would greatly appreciate it.

its #6 squirting onto #5 sorry just had another closer look

injector.gif

Your local auto store should have and injector o-ring kit. You might want to buy two of them if tthey have them. I bought some from advance, I think it was about $13 for a kit. I needed the o-ring for the pressure regulator, and the injector o-rings happen to be the same, but there was only 12 o-rings in the kit. If you take your regulator off, be careful, as when you put it back on, if you try to push it on all the way, the o-ring will get cut by the fitting for the first injector.

If its leaking at the body where it meets the plastic top just replace it. Be ready there will be more to follow, I lost 3 with in a month. Ended up just replacing the rest of them as well.

ok I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine, he said to seal it up with JB Weld.... Would that actually work or is he just being an arse?

Do a search on five oh motor sports, just bite the bullet and order 6 new injectors and be done with it. When replacing them either soak the new ones in a bit of gas or some vasoline to lube the O rings as they go in. Not worth fooling with, fire will result and thats the end of the XJ. And you are correct, do not drive it.

well that settles it, new injectors it shall be,

I bought ones from autozone,

but I hear the 4 port orange top injectors are best?

does anyone have a compatable part number?
or what vehicle they come stock in so that I know what to keep my eyes open for should I see one at the scrap heap?

Thanks all for your help

Trent

I have the 4 port ones off a 4.6 liter crown vic motor. $50 off ebay and they were almost new. My old injectors were ticking so I replaced them. I get a little better gas milage and better throttle response.

Back