• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP44 questions

warpigxj

Frrrrrrunkis!
and yes i did search and got a ton of diffrent answers. frist off i'm going to be running a hp44 and ford 9 out of a mid to late 70's ford f-100 or 150 with the wielded on mounts. 5.38 in the front and 5.43 with a detroit in the back

first question is what size rim and back spacing is every body running. I will be running 35 but right now can't afford to relift, so it will be my 32 or up to a 33, sould i run 15inch rim(then i can run my 32) or go to a 16 and what backspace for both.
second question is what locker is everybody running? going to be on playing on rock and maybe some mud, mostly rock. it's trailer trash so it will see very little pavement
I think that all for now and othe info need just ask
thanks

I am running these axles, I had 15x8 with 4" backspacing, I now have 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing, went up a wheel size because I found a set of tires I couldn't pass up.

I am running an aussie in the front with a spool in the rear and 5.13's.

I did the same swap this year with axles from a '76 F150. Im running 16x8 alloys with 4.5 inches of backspace and 35" Truxus MTs. This combo fits the wheel openings nicely, and after being properly bumpstopped I don't have any issues with rubbing. Less backspace would have created more clearance problems. I also wanted to keep the width down to a minimum so that I could still fit on my trailer, and my hubs are still pretty well protected.

740330_267_full.jpg

I'm running Detroits front and rear, with the rear being 35 spline. I would love to have had selectables but that wasn't in the budget, and a spool in the rear would be smoother but I do drive it on the steet.

More lift is coming for the rear in the form of some custom Alcans, and the front can be adjusted.

Greg

thanks for the replys think i'm going to run the aussie in the front, would a 5inch backspacing be ok for a 16x8?? found a few rims with that set for a good price

if you're only going to be on 32's or 33's - dont do it...

look into annother rear axle choice with higher diff clearance or save your pennies and drop $2000 into a true hi-9.

I drag my ford 9 pinion and front diff over EVERYTHING and it BLOWS big time on 33's... MAYBE if you shaved the front, and cut and welded the rear housing for more cleaerance and strength - even then I dont think id be happy with a LP 9...

im on 15x8's with 3.5" BS 5 on 5.5 - and happy with my hub protection, but not likeing the width...

IMO - buy an XJ 44 for about $200 more than you will spend on the junkyard 9, have a higher pinion, and all the strength you really need, buy alloy shafts for it and have them dual drilled to match the 5 on 5.5 front...

I regret going to the front 44
I regret going to the LP 9...

when I do it again - True Hi 9 rear, 35 spline, currie housing, willwood discs... - Crane High Clearance HP44 center, 35 spline ARB, Spidertrax 60 outers with F450 unit bearings and willwood discs - just so I NEVER have to take a D44 bearing/hub apart again...

EVERYTHING is coming new in box - nothing junkyard...

I hate dealing with the custom crap that my junk has become...

For lockers - I run an aussie in the front and LOVE it and have a Lock Right sitting on the bench waiting to go in before JV this weekend (hopefully)

Nice honesty!

XJ_ranger said:
if you're only going to be on 32's or 33's - dont do it...

look into annother rear axle choice with higher diff clearance or save your pennies and drop $2000 into a true hi-9.

I drag my ford 9 pinion and front diff over EVERYTHING and it BLOWS big time on 33's... MAYBE if you shaved the front, and cut and welded the rear housing for more cleaerance and strength - even then I dont think id be happy with a LP 9...

im on 15x8's with 3.5" BS 5 on 5.5 - and happy with my hub protection, but not likeing the width...

IMO - buy an XJ 44 for about $200 more than you will spend on the junkyard 9, have a higher pinion, and all the strength you really need, buy alloy shafts for it and have them dual drilled to match the 5 on 5.5 front...

I regret going to the front 44
I regret going to the LP 9...

when I do it again - True Hi 9 rear, 35 spline, currie housing, willwood discs... - Crane High Clearance HP44 center, 35 spline ARB, Spidertrax 60 outers with F450 unit bearings and willwood discs - just so I NEVER have to take a D44 bearing/hub apart again...

EVERYTHING is coming new in box - nothing junkyard...

I hate dealing with the custom crap that my junk has become...

For lockers - I run an aussie in the front and LOVE it and have a Lock Right sitting on the bench waiting to go in before JV this weekend (hopefully)

BRIANHO13 said:
Maybe you just need more practice.

No, it's probably the value add not being as high as it could be. Custom machinery can be a PITA.

BT/dt

Sometimes you just want to fill the tank and go worry free.

warpigxj said:
thanks for the replys think i'm going to run the aussie in the front, would a 5inch backspacing be ok for a 16x8?? found a few rims with that set for a good price
The wheels I am running are the Pro Comp 1059 series. Its a polished alloy and they only weight 24 lbs each. I also got them for cost which made them about $87 a wheel. The only thing that I wish I would have bought would be alloy beadlocks, but at another $300 a wheel they just weren't in the budget at the time.

http://www.procomptires.com/series1059.htm

Greg M.

I'm looking into new rubber and rims for the new axles. 9" rear and HP44 front with High Steer arms. Can I get away with 4" BS? What if I run a 10" rim? What BS then? I have not decided on a tire or rim combo yet but am looking at 35X14 Boggers. Good Deal there. 37 Irok's or 36 TSL SX's. If I get new rims I'm thinking why not just get some 17's and tuck them in more? Any thoughts for those of you running the HP44 and High steer?

Ghost said:
I'm looking into new rubber and rims for the new axles. 9" rear and HP44 front with High Steer arms. Can I get away with 4" BS? What if I run a 10" rim? What BS then? I have not decided on a tire or rim combo yet but am looking at 35X14 Boggers. Good Deal there. 37 Irok's or 36 TSL SX's. If I get new rims I'm thinking why not just get some 17's and tuck them in more? Any thoughts for those of you running the HP44 and High steer?

If you want to run a 17, you won't be able to run a SX.

My sky arms are not too short and wont work with the RE bracket kit. I can't run true hi steer, so I'm running crossover with the tierod in the stock location and the drag link in the hi steer arm.

I am running a fill spool in the rear and haven't decided between adetroit or ARB for the front.

I am running an f250 hp 44 front and 60 rear, so mine is 8 lug. But, i have factory H2 17x9 wheels with 5" of backspacing and it works great. Overall i think i am right at 81" wide from the outside of the tires, and my only rubbing issue so far on 4.5" of lift with 37" boggers is that my drivers front tire hits my lower longarm at full lock.

Wow, this is not what I was expecting. I figured the High steer arm would interfere.

I run a high steer setup in the front with a hp44. Parts mike high steer arms, (def. recommended, 10 deg. correction angle and 1 inch thick i think.), and dedenbear ford flat top knuckles ( has perfect relief for caliper mount on my disc brakes). Keeps your front steering components parallel to ground like stock, as well as tucked in from steering comp. damage. Made most all of my vibes go away including DW. Just a hint of evil at 55mph is all thats left from 8'' of lift and 35's. I to have the hp44 front and 9'' combo. Bought a 9'' yoke guard from: http://www.blackdiamondracing.com/itempage.cfm?id=59
Been happy with the setup.

Nickster, what backspacing and size of rims do you have? Do your arms have the 4th hole in them or are they the standard 3 hole high steer arm? I am looking at getting some Deadenbear Ford style high steer knuckles but cant afford to swap out rims at the moment. I keep bashing the crap out of my steering as it currently sits.

I currently have 35x12.50 BFG M/Ts on a set of 15x10 alloy rims with maybe 3.5" bs. Not exactly sure on the bs but the price was right for the rims so I didnt care that much. The tires dont rub but do stick out slightly past the TJ flares. I have a Ford 8.8 in the rear with a HP Dana 44 out of a 78 F250 cut down to Waggy width. With a set of USA alloy shafts and Yukon super joints I havent had a problem with the front axle other than steering and this past weekend the ring gear bolts loosened up in the rear and took out the diff cover. After 5 years of beating on the rear axle, I wasnt that surprised that it finally showed some sign of breakage. Other than a few things I really enjoy the way my rig is set up.
file005.jpg

AARON

I have 15x8 rims and 4'' bs i think. I also run the 35x12.5 BFG M/T's. The parts mike high steer arms do have the 4th hole for a tie rod end so you can stay away from the heim joints. They are VERY stout steer arms and the dedenbear knuckles are very nice as well, except for the price. I searched for a while for waggy flat top knuckles but gave up and got the bears. Very very happy with the setup though. My only downfall is the front 3 link from rk. Makes the side w/o an UCA feel very weak, but clatons La's are on the way :roll:!
Steer arms:
http://www.partsmikeparts.com/44CorrectedArm.htm

Back