• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody run exhaust out the side?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting the finishing touches on my engine swap,the exhaust being the last thing to get finished. I am thinking about just turning the exaust out the passenger side before the rear tire after the muffler and not running a tail pipe.the muffler will be a flowmaster 40. any disadvantage to this set up? thanks!!

I routinely either run it out the side, or turn it down underneath the Jeep.

The biggest draw back I see is that with the Series 40 its going to be LOUD when you really are on the skinny pedal.

1. its not leagal, 2.if you wheel it the exit will get ripped off and if your runnig a cat you will just not have enough room

i see you are from illinois. i am from indiana and i have 11k lbs. plates on mine so i dont have to have emission tests. definete plus! i am also in the process of redoing my exhaust. right now i only have a sh*ty cat on it with a turndown in front of the rear tire. it is loud and i have set off car alarms driving in downtown areas. i am planning on getting new pipes from the header back and eliminating the cat and putting on a full exhaust all the way back. the reason is, when i take the turndown off for wheelin', i get the exhaust fumes in the cab cause there is nowhere for it to go but up. ( i also burned a rust hole in the floor board where the cat exits cause it got so hot and i had to patch it.

so to answer your question of whether it is a good idea to dump it, i would say NO. just keep it running out the back so you dont have to worry about snuffin' fumes.

and to ROBZ95Xj - it might be illegal (noise and emissions)in NH but in some states it isn't. just so you know for future references

well,they do enforce noise laws to a certain degree around here,but it won't be as loud a the harley boys running their loud pipes,so i think i will be safe noise wise. alos been thinking about just dumping it after the muffler with a turndown like howey suggested. any fume problems howey?

cjben said:
well,they do enforce noise laws to a certain degree around here,but it won't be as loud a the harley boys running their loud pipes,so i think i will be safe noise wise. alos been thinking about just dumping it after the muffler with a turndown like howey suggested. any fume problems howey?

No, and I have no front doors.

have you ever caught the turndown on anything when your wheelin'? or is it flush underneath to the frame rails and trans.case crossmember? to keep it simple, is the exhaust sticking out from underneath?

I've never caught mine. Everything is even with the bottom of the crossmember or higher. I used a round case, shorty muffler intended for rat rods so I could keep the cat.

philagony94xj said:
i see you are from illinois. i am from indiana and i have 11k lbs. plates on mine so i dont have to have emission tests. definete plus! i am also in the process of redoing my exhaust. right now i only have a sh*ty cat on it with a turndown in front of the rear tire. it is loud and i have set off car alarms driving in downtown areas. i am planning on getting new pipes from the header back and eliminating the cat and putting on a full exhaust all the way back. the reason is, when i take the turndown off for wheelin', i get the exhaust fumes in the cab cause there is nowhere for it to go but up. ( i also burned a rust hole in the floor board where the cat exits cause it got so hot and i had to patch it.

so to answer your question of whether it is a good idea to dump it, i would say NO. just keep it running out the back so you dont have to worry about snuffin' fumes.

and to ROBZ95Xj - it might be illegal (noise and emissions)in NH but in some states it isn't. just so you know for future references

How did you get 11K truck plates for an XJ??? Indiana doesn't have emissions testing at all, no worries there.

I am currently running the exhaust straight out the muffler into a 45* turndown. It works, but is LOUD inside and dumps the exhaust right at the p/side shock. I'll probably redo it to a tailpipe soon.

cjben said:
what would be better:welding or using clamps to put the exhaust together?

BEST=welding
better=exhaust wide band clamp (napa, usually around $10ish or so. seals better and doesn't crush exhaust)
worst=exhaust clamp

X3 on how did you get 11K pound license plate on a XJ???

IF your setting up your exhaust I would first use Wide clamps and test it all out for a while befroe you weld it up. WELDING is better but if you weld it all up and don't like.... you get my point

I helped a gal I know install a new cat and muffler a bit ago. She didn't want to spend money on a tail pipe and so I stuffed a turndown I had laying around the garge onto it. I had to make a custom hanger for the rear off the muffler but it works fine. No fumes and really is quiet

onkover,do they sell those clamps other places besides napa? believe ot or not,there is no napa within 50 miles from here. are wide clmaps the correct name for them? I would like to see what it sounds like before I weld it up.is there a website that sells specialty exhaust stuff? I would like to find a 90 degree elbow that is mandrel bent. thanks!!

basically i just went to the BMV and asked for 11k plates and they asked no questions and let me have them. where i am up here (20 min. from chicago just over indiana border) they do have emissions and the 11k plates exempt the vehicle from such things. :yelclap:

so i just wanna get rid of the cat and run a full exhaust out the back cause i am getting sick of how loud mine is already (being dumped after cat).

but on a side note does anyone know of a good site to find cheap catbacks besides ebay?

Depending on how you're trimmed yours, here's a thread on our board about how a friend of mine did his:

http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7537

IMG_0878.jpg

Band Clamp... right. Most auto part stores will have them or any muffler shop. YOu can pick them up online also... just search for exhaust band clamp. I recomend using stainless. Then all you need is to make sure to get the right tube size.

Back