• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone sucessfully JB weld their Exhaust manifold?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I was installing a front skid today and noticed a really nice sized crack right at the Y of my exhaust manifold before the flange. Was just wondering if I could simply JB weld the crack until I have a few days to devote to a header swap.

Thanks guys!

JB Weld isn't for high temp applications. Not even sure if the "High-Temp" JB Weld is even for that high of temps!

What I did find worked was a product called ThermoSteel.....

I used that but the crack came back. Of course my motor mounts were toast so that probably contributed to the crack coming back. I've since replaced the mounts so will give the ThermoSteel another chance. Make sure to clean the surface well before applying the ThermoSteel and follow the curing process.

High temp JB weld wouldn't even cure a leak I had in my old muffler (rock sorta got it). And that doesn't get as hot as the manifold. It would just disappear. A few days after putting it on it would just be all gone.

So where exactly do I fint this thermosteel stuff? I was thinking of a patch of a section of aluminum can and 2 pipe clamps cause I was bored. I tried knocking off the dried on mud and promptly got some in my eye.

F that lol.

Mud in the eye? No problem! I was working on it in the winter and some road salted ice dripped in my eye. Soon after I got an eye infection....

Back on topic,

18003.jpg

I've seen AutoZone and Advance Auto stock it. Might want to buy two just incase, the bottle isn't THAT big.

When yo get around to a permanent fix, look into a junkyard 99/00 manifold and head pipe instead of a header.

Like I said, JB Weld high temp disappeared and it was only on the exterior shell of my muffler!!! I mean I mixed it 50/50.

Good thing about thermosteel is that you just mix what's in the container. Don't have to add another substance.

what about muffler putty? I gooped a load onto a leak I had between the header pipe and cat, and it's held up pretty well. Can this stuff hold up to high heats like the manifold puts out? Just curious as I have a tube left over somewhere and am would like to know for future ref.

If you had a broken arm, would you use a bandaid to fix it?
You can swap the exhaust manifold in 3 hours.

Just have someone weld it for you

Blaine B. said:
Unless you can weld it while it is installed - why go through the hassle of removal and reinstallation just to weld it when you could replace it?

Because if you have a welder then you don't have to go looking for another manifold.

Back