• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weep Hole

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I just put in a new thermostat when I replaced my Housing gasket because it leaked. Well I thought I burped it and it was pushing small amounts of coolant through the Water pump weep hole. Then I realized I hadn't burped it with the heater on. So I have reburped it with the heater on and now it seems to be holding and not seeping any more.
My question is if it pushed it past the seal in the waterpump does that mean it is getting ready to call it quits or is that pretty common when there is too much air in the system. That doesn't push coolant into the bearing where it'll corrode and ruin them does it ?

Get a new water pump. Seepage out of the weep hole in the pump housing indicates the pump bearing inner seal is going bad. Even if it doesn't blow out and drop the coolant, the wet bearing will eat itself( corrosion )in a short time and then the shaft starts wobbling around, and either the seals get chewed up, the fan wobbles and hits, it throws the belt, or all three.

tbburg said:
Get a new water pump. Seepage out of the weep hole in the pump housing indicates the pump bearing inner seal is going bad. Even if it doesn't blow out and drop the coolant, the wet bearing will eat itself( corrosion )in a short time and then the shaft starts wobbling around, and either the seals get chewed up, the fan wobbles and hits, it throws the belt, or all three.

I already have one. I was hoping to wait until after a Wilderness Retreat I go to this next weekend. 300 mile round trip. The reason I have put it off is the weather. It is in the triple digits and I only have a carport. No A/C there :cry:

Looks like maybe I'll wait until later tonight and pull it. Then put it back on tomorrow morning. Lovely !

boise49ers said:
I already have one. I was hoping to wait until after a Wilderness Retreat I go to this next weekend. 300 mile round trip. The reason I have put it off is the weather. It is in the triple digits and I only have a carport. No A/C there :cry:

Looks like maybe I'll wait until later tonight and pull it. Then put it back on tomorrow morning. Lovely !

Well if that thing goes, your car would be the "hot one."

I'd rather be all hot and sweaty and my engine being hot and damaged!

Good decision to pull it now. No ac beats no concrete pad, no roof, no tools. I have a whole slew of photos I took 2 years ago at Moab EJS. Me and a friend, replacing a,... wait for it!

water pump! on his CJ, outside our hotel, at night, in a snowstorm, with about a hundred drunk jeepers offering advice.

Ah, fond memories! I only have to take small doses of medication for that one,...

tbburg said:
Good decision to pull it now. No ac beats no concrete pad, no roof, no tools. I have a whole slew of photos I took 2 years ago at Moab EJS. Me and a friend, replacing a,... wait for it!

water pump! on his CJ, outside our hotel, at night, in a snowstorm, with about a hundred drunk jeepers offering advice.

Ah, fond memories! I only have to take small doses of medication for that one,...

Oh that sounded like my ultimate nightmare drunks giving advise while you are already stressed about replacing the waterpump in shitty weather. Yeah I'd still be getting medicated for that one too. Quit drinking 15 years ago and I have only minimal tolerance for drunks now. Not real fair , but the way it is.
:wow:

On that trip we had to replace the water pump, engine driven fan and the alternator(alt on a different night) Even so, my ultimate nightmare would have been missing EJS

(Worst day wheelin' beats the best day at work,...)

Isn't it funny how drunk people aren't nearly as entertaining when your not drunk?

Got it done. Man I hate burping the closed systems. Takes forever. Only 90 right now. Suppose to be 104 today.
Of course you are AZ so I'm preaching to the choir. Kind like my wife bitching to the guys I go wheelin with about
how much a repair of upgrade costs. They dont care. They spend at least as much if not more then I do. :laugh:

Last edited:
Glad to hear it went well. You won't regret not putting it off.

Enjoy Wilderness Retreat. Wish i could go on a trip this month.

Back