• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth swapping non c-clip d35 in for c-clip d35

fizassist

NAXJA Member #1052
I came across (free) an older non c-clip d35, and I'm about to put 4.10s in my c-clip d35. The non-c is in worse shape, would probably need brakes refurbished, etc. OTOH, it would be easier to set up the gears on the bench than under the Jeep (which is what I would do if I left the c-clip axle in there). It would be some extra hassle to do the axle swap; do you think it's a substantial reliability gain for somebody who occasionally (but rarely) goes offroad?

Thanks for the input.

I actually like non c clip axels, they are more heavy duty, before u install make sure its strait, that includes flanges. I would also check the leaf seats also.

If you're going to go to the trouble of putting a new rear axle under your XJ, why not go with a D44 or 8.25? You've got to pay to have the gears redone anyway, so it wouldn't be that much more expensive. Judging by what you posted, a 27-spline 8.25 might be a worthwhile upgrade, and it's not terribly uncommon for people to give them away.

Mambeu said:
If you're going to go to the trouble of putting a new rear axle under your XJ, why not go with a D44 or 8.25? You've got to pay to have the gears redone anyway, so it wouldn't be that much more expensive. Judging by what you posted, a 27-spline 8.25 might be a worthwhile upgrade, and it's not terribly uncommon for people to give them away.

I'm doing the gears myself. I already have the 4.11 D35 gears, and I already have the non-c-clip D35. I.e., it is a zero-dollar effort to put in the non-c-clip D35 (and about a day's work).

I agree that the non"C" clip is a SLIGHTLY better rear but like others have said, WHY....its just not worth the effort for the benifits received.

Sell the stuff you have and buy what you need.

I say do it right the first time...you'll only have to do it once!!

CW

cwlongshot said:
I agree that the non"C" clip is a SLIGHTLY better rear but like others have said, WHY....its just not worth the effort for the benifits received.
x2. It'd be like regearing from 3.55 to 3.73. Yes, I suppose it'd be better, but is it worth the effort? I don't think so.

Ok, thanks guys. I'm not going to be buying anything more than what I have right now, so I'll just throw the 4.11s in the 35 and get something better when it breaks. :D

fizassist said:
Ok, thanks guys. I'm not going to be buying anything more than what I have right now, so I'll just throw the 4.11s in the 35 and get something better when it breaks. :D
Seeing as it won't cost you anything to do that, it sounds like a good plan.

Back