• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad idle

sadrifter58

NAXJA Forum User
got a 89 xj got 208k on it. problem i have is, you can drive it (no matter how long or short) after you let it sit for even a few minutes and start it and take off and slow down for like a speed bump it dies. idle drops bad and rough. but if you start it and let it run for a minute or so it's fine.have ran cleaner though it. after your driving it's ok. just after it sits. and 1 more thing. should injector bodys turn on intake. I grabed one of them and it just turned like a loose spark plug.any way to adjust idle up? was going to be project truck but i see this comin:skull2:

You may want to inspect your IAC (idle air controler) located on your throttle body next to the tps (throttle postion sensor). Pull it out and hit it with a shot of throttle body cleaner. Then drip one or three drops of light oil down it to lube. It is a stepper moter so don't expect to turn it by hand, the black collar will spin. Reinstall and hope for the best. It would not be a bad idea to spray the opening in the TB too.

The injectors are just held in by the upper and lower o-rings, you can spin them by had.

Hope this helps,

Pigpen

I just adjusted my TPS to the settings outlined in the RENIX FSM and it made a noticeable difference.

Before, mine would surge between 500-900 RPM at idle. Now, it starts up a bit easier and idles between 700-750 RPM.

You'll need a multimeter for the test. If you would like to know the procedure and voltage values for testing, let me know.

Definitely check the idle control valve for gunk as well.

-Ted

Back