• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing New PCV Grommets - '89 XJ

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace all of my PCV fittings and vacuum lines as they had broken or decayed beyond use.

The grommet that installs in the rear valve cover port is proving to be difficult to replace because the material is so blasted hard. There is no doubt you need to deform this grommet to install it but how?

I've tried to soften the grommet in hot & boiling water but no luck.

I'm considering removing my valve cover and the internal baffle below the rear PCV port to slightly increase the size of the rear hole in the valve cover to make this easier. I may even need to chamfer the outer lip of the rear port as well.

Does anyone have a solution for this? How have you solved this problem?

Thanks,

Rick

I did this very long ago on an 87 and as I recall, it was a little easier to do with the cover off. I had it off anyway to scrape the carbon and crud out. It's easier to work the inner lip of the grommet in from the inside. I would not enlarge the hole if at all possible.

Have you tried something very slippery, like silicone grease, or dishwashing soap?

Matt & gourdoster,

Thanks for the replies. Actually, this turned out to be a case of me not thinking enough.

After posting my inital thread this morning I made a couple of attempts to install the rear PCV grommet. My second attempt involved using a 3/8" wide straight blade screw driver to press (from the side; acting radially on the grommet.) the lower lip into the hole in the valve cover. Yes, this would be easier with the valve cover removed but I was done in less than a minute. I continued working around the permeter of the grommet until it was completely pressed into the valve cover.

Thanks again,

Rick

Back